Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aluminum oxide finish on engineered hardwood floors

Posted by ksd51 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 20:27

I am planning on putting in engineered hardwood floors through out my house. The floors that I have seen all have the aluminum oxide finish which I understand is very durable. In looking at the samples,this finish seems to have a waxy or plastic look to it unless you are standing directly on top of the floor. In other wood the shine and it is a loss gloss, looks sort of waxy. Don't know what to think. Is this the way engineered floors are finished? Perhaps it is because I have been looking at the "handscraped" floor. Not a huge fan ,but seems to be pretty popular. Perhaps the finish on the smooth floors look different.? Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aluminum oxide finish on engineered hardwood floors

It is definitely not a separate process between engineered and solids in reference to the finish. Look at some step up grades in engineered. It should not look like plastic. I believe the very popular satin finishes of today may be affecting you as opposed to the higher gloss stuff of yesteryear. There are many beautiful varieties of engineered floors.

o

Floortech, I appreciate your response. Could you please elaborate more? I have looked at quite a few brands of engineered floors. I do believe they have the satin finish, so are you saying that what I see is typical.Perhaps this is the way a satin finish looks like, unless I have not looked at a higher grade engineered floor. Could you please suggest brands of upgraded engineered floors? Your help is appreciated. I hope to make a decision this week.

o

We sell about 25 brands of hardwood. I personally no longer sell..so it's a tougher question for me. Many of our products are sold only in mid Atlantic region. I will hopefully post tomorrow with some recommendations. I want to give you an accurate post.

o

Floortech, sorry to threadjack, but I'd be interested in hearing you opinions on the Gemwoods Pacific Treasures series of engineered flooring. Thanks!

o

Floortech was correct. There isn't any difference in finish between engineered wood and solid. And the Aluminium Oxide finish is all almost on all urethane finished floorings nowadays. Overall, the handscraped floorings with distressed appearance tend to be more satin than smooth finished one. You may try the uv oiled engineered floorings which finish goes into the wood grains instead of staying on top. Very natural, real and flat. The link below is a good example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oiled Antique Ivory Engineered Floating Wood Flooring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here