Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid or Engineered Hardwood...Made in USA...???

Posted by pieng4 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 19:52

Hello,
I'm inundated with decisions because we are building a house. One of the biggest decisions for me is the flooring. We are very interested in solid or engineered hardwood floors. We have found one we like, it is Somerset Country Collection Merlot Maple. We have found out the source and manufacturing of this product is Chinese. We would like to support USA made items as much as possible. Does anyone know of a product similar? Are there other USA made hardwood floors? Any items to sway the decision between solid versus engineered?
I would appreciate any suggestions - I'm waiting to make other decisions based on this choice.
We are looking for a fairly high rated Janka, pre-finished, 1st floor install, above grade, hardwood throughout the house except bathrooms.
Thank you for taking the time to read.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid or Engineered Hardwood...Made in USA...???

We're currently installing 5" (unfinished) clear white oak, rift and quarter cut. Manufacturer is a company called 'Sheoga' out of the US, and the company claims that they don't sell their wood to furniture manufacturers, so some of the flooring is furniture-grade material. My installer got a really good deal on them so, installed with 3 coats of Glitsa, I think it's $10-11/sf (CDN).

Objectively, I have to say it's really beautiful wood. It's heartening when all the different trades that have come in during the install have marvelled at and been in awe of the flooring quality. My architect even made a special trip when I told him about it, and he wasn't disappointed. :)

I've linked to the company website for your ease (they have the requisite Amish-looking folk pictured on the homepage to give an old-world quality about the product). Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheoga Flooring

o
RE: Solid or Engineered Hardwood...Made in USA...???

Somerset now makes both their engineered and solid products in the US with the possible exception of the hand scrapped ones. That I'm not clear on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here