Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet Help and Recommendations Needed

Posted by sah54 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 19:45

I am a 58 year old divorced female who got the house in the divorce. I've been fixing it up bit by bit so when I retire (when I'm 62 years old), I will not have major house expenses.

Now that the kids have moved out, I need to replace the bedroom carpeting. The bedrooms are 10' x 10', 10' x 10' and 13' x 15'. I still have a dog that hangs out in the master bedroom and hangs out and sleeps (in a crate) in the other bedroom. The smaller bedrooms will be used as guest rooms, and the master will get the most use.

My main complaint with the carpet I have (other than the fact that the kids and dogs have ruined it) is the carpet is now crushed or matted. I absolutely hate that look. (It is a plush type carpet).

What I would like to know is what type of carpet (brand, fiber, weight, patterned or not, type of pad, etc.) should I look for when I go shopping to ensure that I get a carpet that will not end up matted in 5-10 years? There are just too many choices out there.

Also, could you give me a ballpark figure of what this might cost so I know if I should move on to another estimate? I would need the furniture moved and the carpet and pad removed and disposed of.

Thank you for any advice you could give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet Help and Recommendations Needed

We installed Smart Strand by Mohawk. Love, love, love it! Soft, stain resistant and I hope it lasts me for 20 years! Not cheap but it is high quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here