Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sah54_gw

Carpet Help and Recommendations Needed

sah54
11 years ago

I am a 58 year old divorced female who got the house in the divorce. I've been fixing it up bit by bit so when I retire (when I'm 62 years old), I will not have major house expenses.

Now that the kids have moved out, I need to replace the bedroom carpeting. The bedrooms are 10' x 10', 10' x 10' and 13' x 15'. I still have a dog that hangs out in the master bedroom and hangs out and sleeps (in a crate) in the other bedroom. The smaller bedrooms will be used as guest rooms, and the master will get the most use.

My main complaint with the carpet I have (other than the fact that the kids and dogs have ruined it) is the carpet is now crushed or matted. I absolutely hate that look. (It is a plush type carpet).

What I would like to know is what type of carpet (brand, fiber, weight, patterned or not, type of pad, etc.) should I look for when I go shopping to ensure that I get a carpet that will not end up matted in 5-10 years? There are just too many choices out there.

Also, could you give me a ballpark figure of what this might cost so I know if I should move on to another estimate? I would need the furniture moved and the carpet and pad removed and disposed of.

Thank you for any advice you could give me.

Comment (1)