Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

anyone have red birch flooring?

KateB22
10 years ago

still looking at flooring. anyone have red birch flooring?

http://www.houzz.com/red-birch-flooring looks pretty but not sure if it is too red??

at this point I am considering
maple
red birch
yellow birch

and anything else I guess

please tell me if you have seen red birch flooring and if it is quite red or are there less red options of it (unstained)? Is it nice? I want to do the same flooring in the whole house

Comments (8)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Aside from the softness if burch in general its an awesome looking floor.
    I do have a pic or two from a job i did a couple years ago. They were taken right after i applied the last coat so its going to look glossy.
    I dont think it has "too" much red. I see more an redish gold color. But birch cab be stained as well.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry im typing from my phone. Lots of spelling errors.
    Heres one more.

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! That is beautiful!! What color does it get as it ages? more red or more brown? I am hoping to do unstained with whatever wood I choose

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! That is beautiful!! What color does it get as it ages? more red or more brown? I am hoping to do unstained with whatever wood I choose

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The first photo in your houzz link was "stained with a custom blend".

https://www.houzz.com/photos/heartwood-red-birch-floors-traditional-dining-room-providence-phvw-vp~4002081--Red-Birch--Floors-traditional-dining-room-providence

That's unstained, I think. Looks reddish-gold to me.

BTW, "yellow birch" and "red birch" flooring are the same species. (The name "yellow birch" reflects the color of the tree's bark.) The difference is in how much of the yellow sapwood versus reddish heartwood you are getting.

The tree/shrub commonly called "red birch" is too small for lumbering.

It darkens slightly, not nearly as much as cherry.

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is almost a pink color. I hope to get a sample- do you know a company online who would have a sample of it? It is not in the common big places samples. Yes I know it is the heartwood of the yellow birch.
    I love the look of it but cannot know how it will look in a whole house. One family member I showed pictures too says it is too red. I will have to get a sample as I do find the pictures of it pretty but am not a fan of red unless it is subtle!

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you familiar w= red birch flooring I have a question about finishes. I got two unfinished samples of red birch today. I like the color it is unfinished. I put oil on one ofthem ( just cookingoil I had in the house) to see the color and it brought out a lot of the orange/red/pink. I Much prefer the milder color that the unfinished one is. Is there a type of finish I can have put on the red birch that will keep it the milder color it is unfinished and prevent it from the more red look? Or will any finishing bring out the red tones like the oil did? I may use it if I can find a way to keep it the color it is unfinished.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Water bourne urethane does the best job at keeping the natural tones.

Without going to the store to buy some to test a quick idea you can try is take a damp rag with water and rub the sample. Thats a pretty decent representation of what it would look like.