Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there Health concerns with Amtico floors?

Posted by athomesewing (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 18:35

Just when we had come to a decision to refloor the entire house in Amtico planks, along comes a local news story about "serious" health issues created by vinyl flooring. Supposed links to autism, etc., etc., etc.

I don't know what to think.
Is this ALL vinyl floors? Or is it the products made in China which contain god knows what in batch to batch?
Is Amtico actually vinyl at all...or something else...they don't seem to say.

I would love hardwood floors, however living in the Northwest (rain) and having four dogs and a hubby that tracks in, it seemed like Amtico planks would be great, but now I'm concerned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to News Story

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there Health concerns with Amtico floors?

"According to the study, most wallpaper samples contained PVC, polyvinyl chloride, a common source of chemicals called phthalates."

I hope this is just an ignorant reporter.

PVC has pthalates added to make it flexible.

PVC by itself is not a "common source of chemicals called phthalates."

Pthalates are commonly used in PVC to alter its physical properties.

Sounds more like a scare group than anything else.

o

However, Amtico has created a different line of flooring, called Stratica:

"Stratica is our ground-breaking PVC-free range of sustainable floors, developed in response to demand for healthier indoor environments particularly from Healthcare and Education sectors."

So, what does this mean for their other products, Amtico and Spacia?

I also noticed that all their products passed testing for California indoor air quality, whatever that is worth.

o

There are scientific studies being done to determine what, if any, links there may be to phthalates and some known diseases. It will be interesting to follow developments in this area of interest.

That some people are sensitive to chemicals found in manufactured vinyl products is not surprising; I know of a few cases where this has been a problem for some individuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here