Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secret to Cutting 18 inch Porcelain Tile

Posted by akrogirl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 18:06

Hi all, we are trying to lay 18 inch porcelain tile throughout much of our house. DH is attempting to cut the tile with a wet saw but is having problems with the full length diagonal cuts - the tiles keep breaking one to two inches from the end. Are there any tricks of the trade he needs to be aware of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secret to Cutting 18 inch Porcelain Tile

Sounds like the wet saw table is to small.

You need a table that can support the whole length of the cut.

o

Thanks for the response, Brickeyee, but the table does support the full length of the cut. Any other things to try?

o

Make a little cut in about an inch and then flip the tile and cut from the other way.

o

the saw is a low quality piece of junk

and/or

the saw is old and worn causing vibration

and/or

there is not enough water flowing

and/or

the saw blade is bent causing vibration

and/or

the saws arbor is loose/bent causing vibration

and/or

the saws bearings are shot causing wobble/vibration

and/or

the saw blade is to worn

and/or

you are applying to much force cutting the tile

unless you want to pay for a large professional radial (arm-type) saw $3k-$5k, use floorguys suggestion

o

A Felker or Target is what we Pros use. Even a "Bridge Saw" from someone like Harbor Freight might work well for him. The cheap saws are useless for anything over 12" and are even questionable there. He might rent a good one from HD or someone else. Any pictures? (We love pictures)

o

Thank you all, and sorry I haven't checked back sooner. I will pass this info on to my husband, and hope that he is able to resolve the problem.

o

Make sure the table is flat and supporting the whole tile.

I have sen some cheap stamped tables that have been bowed right out of the box.
Use a straightedge as least as long as the cuts you are trying.

If the rubber on the table has hardened or become to soft you will also have cracking issues.

Arbor and blade run-out, worn blades, inadequate water flow can also all contribute.

As long as there is a ready source of water run a garden hose and just let the water overflow out in the yard.

Do not even bother with the circulating pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here