Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new hardwood floor.. noise problem

Posted by habals (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 17:51

Hi,

I recently installed a new hardwood floor 3/4" over a wood subfloor. The installer put the sheet of paper between the hardwood floor and the subfloor. Under the subfloor is the uninsulated crawlspace.
We don't have any squeaks. However,
The problem is that when ever somebody walks around, the foot step noise is amplified by the crawl space and it really drives me crazy.

Is there a way to reduce these noise?
Will putting insulation under the subfloor help reduce the noise?
Any advise will be appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new hardwood floor.. noise problem

It's not the crawlspace at all--although of course, yours should be properly insulated for comfort and energy savings. Insulating it will do nothing for sound deadening for the floor above. All hard floors are much noisier than soft floors. Put some rugs down and add more soft furnishings like drapes and cloth chairs if you want to minimize the noise.

o

My friend's house has hardwood on slab, and there is absolutely no noise at all. That's why I thought it is from the crawl space.
Thanks for your help.

o

You are getting the noise you describe because your floor construction is over the crawl space. Your floor surface is the 'drum cover' and any impact on the surface becomes a louder noise due to the open space and hard surfaces below the floor. Harmonics produce the resonant frequency and you don't find that a pleasing tone.

In addition to rugs over the 'drum surface' adding sound attenuating materials in the space below may help reduce the noise.

o

Thanks glennsfc.
That's what I thought.
I was thinking insulation material in the crawl space will reduce the noise. Maybe it is something I should just try.
It will anyway help the winter gas bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here