Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shaw Engineered Maple vs. Bruce Solid Maple flooring

Posted by tl1969 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 17:36

I need to order hardwood flooring for my first floor (kitchen and sunroom) and am considering the Engineered Shaw Product called Acadian Heights. It is 6 3/8 inches and is Handscraped Maple in the Blackwoods stain. I am also considering the Bruce Kennedale Solid 5 inch Maple in Cappucino color, although it is 1 dollar more per SF, so my first choice is the Shaw engineered product. Is anyone familiar with either of these two lines because you purchased them for your own home? Both wood floors are a dark brown, as that will go best with my white cabinets. I am hoping that is not a mistake as I have read that they show dust. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shaw Engineered Maple vs. Bruce Solid Maple flooring

Why are you comparing apples and oranges? What is your subfloor? If it's slab, then you need to only be looking at engineered. And yes, dark floors show dust horribly. Go rent a black car for a day and see if you can live with all of the spots showing up. You won't be happy unless you like to swiffer daily. If easy care is important to you, then choose a floor in a medium tone close to the color of whatever dirt is in your locale. You can always bring in dark elements in counters, pulls, lighting or other decorative elements that are smaller doses and easier to live with.

o
RE: Shaw Engineered Maple vs. Bruce Solid Maple flooring

My subfloor is not slab so I can do either. I had originally thought of doing solid, so I could refinish them, but I have a budget of $5/SF and this Bruce solid is the only one in my budget that is 5 inches wide. Alas, reviews of their solid floors seem quite poor, although I have not read any reviews specifically of their Kennedale line, which the store salesman tells me is very high quality.

I have read that the engineered is better for wider planks. So that is one consideration. I also read that the Shaw finish is very durable and scratch resistant. I am hoping to buy a Roomba and have that sweep up every day, keeping dust to a minimum. The darker wood really sets off my white cabinetry well, somI prefer to go as dark as I can allow. Doesmany one own a Roomba and can speak to how well those work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here