Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Similar to Brazilian Teak?

Posted by monkeystomach (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 17:03

Hi Everyone,

I need new hardwood floors. I really like Brazilian Teak, but I am curious to know if there is another (non-exotic) species that is similar? It does not have to look exactly like Brazilian Teak, but I would like some color variation and the medium to dark browns and golden colors. (I also like Lyptus, but cannot find enough information about it)

Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,

Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Similar to Brazilian Teak?

I fell in love with Brazillian Teak (Cumaru), but the more research I did the more I thought it would be too unstable for my home's humidity fluctuations.

I looked at a lot of different products. There are many wonderful flooring companies out there, but I just wasn't finding something I liked. I didn't see anything that was similar enough to Cumaru.

I ended up going with an inexpensive engineered exotic product from BR-111 that I won't mind my dogs destroying. I plan to post photos this weekend when I'm finished installing it. Just have a couple feet left, but my back is killing me. LOL!

o
Oak

A wood type that I find very attactive (I just didn't want to deal with the onsite finishing process) is a rift and/or quarter cut white oak with a nice penetrating oil finish. That would be my dream floor.

It's such a personal decision.

o

You might consider hickory heartwood or mesquite as hard domestic alternatives with similar coloring. I personally don't know of either being available in prefinished.

o

Our first love was Brazilian Cherry. We have ended up doing "character grade" American Cherry. You know, the stuff that floor people throw out or disgrace with a second grade class. It has beautiful natural knots and gorgeous color variation. All the things installers avoid. We were also lucky enough to find an installer with similar appreciation for this natural beauty. He did so much as to set aside the "wild" stuff and placed it prominently in view where it could be appreciated. A personal opinion and it's not exactly "teak" but we love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here