Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Flooring for 3 season sun room

andrelaplume2
9 years ago

Right now there is berber down...that has to go because the cats that live there and have pee'd it up.

Is there an inexpensive magical flooring that cat urine won't penetrate.

The floor is poured concrete, I can't see putting carpet back in there...then again I'd imagine the urine will penetrate the concrete just as easily..

Thanks for any advise...
(and getting rid of the cats won't fly...believe me I tried!)

Comments (7)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

there are some cat urine chemicals that suppose to either mask it or thoroughly clean it, I can think of the names off the top of my head, hopefully someone else can name those for you.

If this is my house, this is what I would do.

After getting to the bare concrete, id paint the area with a couple of coats of KILZ oil based primer. this does really nice work. and then I would look into maybe a sheet vinyl, if the cats are staying.

you want something with NO seams. sheet vinyl is a cheap option especially if its known the cats like to treat that area like a litter box.

keep in mind theres more than one way to skin a cat (no pun intended....or maybe...?? ) so my suggestion is just one way, many ways to do this job.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

..."there's more than one way to skin a cat"...

Hahaha! My dad used to use that saying often. Actually had one person take offense..guess she had thin skin!

To the topic: some of the new sheet vinyl or sheet vinyl-type floorings...yes there are some that look like PVC, but aren't, would be great choices here. Cat pee will sit on the surface until mopped up. Except for stainless steel maybe, I can think of no material that will effectively resist the destructive capabilities of cat pee. But, a sheet flooring product will do a pretty good job. And, if you need a seam...not to worry...there are seam sealers made for the products.

My job for early January is to install a sheet flooring product for an elderly lady who has dogs that sometimes don't get out in time. The dog urine has destroyed her vinyl composition tile and the plywood underneath.

And you should see what pet urine does to hardwood!

But enough about pee!

Ha!

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll ask the floor guy about these...did not know there was stuff that would not absorb the urine.

As far as those chemical to get teh smell out go...I have tried everything...I can always smell it.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I do believe that the best one is called Natures Miracle.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Have the concrete polished. It is as bullet proof a floor as you can get. $4.00 - $12.00 per square foot.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what is 'polished'? Is that just 'sealed'?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

andrelaplume2:

No. Large machines grind the surface to glass-like smoothness. With a coat of wax, cats can vomit, pee, and shed all they want and the floor remains unchanged:

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete