Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate Flooring on concrete slab?

Posted by mowerman1193 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 16:49

My house was built in 1964. I am wanting to update all my flooring and like the idea of wood laminate flooring, but not sure if that is best for a concrete slab floor..I do have one corner in a bedroom that gets damp ( mostly only if the gutter gets clogged ).

Also would like to put down some sort of insulation if that is possible? I have had a lot of people claim that I need to use the Dry-cor sub-floor..But then I have heard that the dry-cor can create a mold issue it moisture gets in as it cannot get air to get dried out??

This house started out as a basement that never got finished and now has a normal pitch roof on it..The walls are cinder block up to about guessing 3-4 foot from the slab floor.

Anyway what would be the best options for new flooring that is not freezing on your feet when I get out of bed in the morning..
At this point we mostly have linoleum other than 3 rooms that are carpet..Due to allergies I would like to do away with carpets and just have the laminate flooring.

Sorry for all the rambling, LOL

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate Flooring on concrete slab?

I didn't run laminate throughout, but at the point you're talking about, I laid 1x6 oak. You could do the same thing, and cut it on a table saw to fit over your laminate.

Can't figure out how to upload more than one picture @ a time, so I will post another picture of what I did with 1x4 oak for the transition strips I put for the dining room, kitchen, & at the patio door.

You have to put more effort in it than just cutting a transition strip to size, but the results are well worth it.

o

A picture of the oak transition.

o

Oh boy, sorry, replied to wrong thread!

o

I just laid 1200 sq ft of laminate over my concrete slab. I used a good underlayment with an overlapping moisture barrier to keep any moisture from reaching the laminate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here