Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
analyn_gw

cupping, bucking and spliting of new floor

analyn
10 years ago

Last summer a busted water pipe under the house caused the hardwood floors in front of my fireplace to buck. The floor was only 11 years old, and was unfinished red oak, select. In order to repair the portion that was damaged, a large portion of the floor had to be replaced. It is a very large room, about 32ft x 25ft, and about half of that was replaced, 32ft x 12ft. It was replaced with the exact same wood, bought from the same company.

The insurance adjuster suggested I use a service and restoration company that could do all the work including the moving, cleaning, flooring, etc. and I went with his suggestion. What a mistake! (but I�ll just talk about the flooring here) The 1st flooring contractor that they hired did a terrible job. There were big gouges in my floor where the sander had cut into it. The corners and edges of the room were noticeably higher than the inner portions, and there was grit, grime, dirt, hair and garbage throughout every single inch of the finished floor. The person in charge of overseeing the entire project came and looked at it and said that he had seen some bad floor jobs in his life, but this was the worst he had seen in his entire career. He said that there was no way to repair it, it would have be resanded and refinished.

The company hired another flooring company to redo the floor. They had to sand the floor four times in order to get most of the damage out. They sanded it at 45 degree angles twice and then straight up and down twice. Even after that, there were still dents and gouges, but not as noticeable. They put six coats of premium, semi-gloss finish on the floor and still there were places that wouldn�t take the finish. Large portions of the floor were very dull and didn't look like they had any finish on it at all. so they had to put a special treatment on the floor in places and come back several times to put more finish on these places. The flooring man told me that it was possible that the first flooring man had sanded the floor down too low and had gotten into the base(?) and that was why the finish wouldn�t adhere.

But finally, after a couple of months, I had a beautiful floor. For about one month. Then the finish on the entire floor started to become very dull, and it looked like a 25 yr. old floor. I put some Bona on it and got it shining again and thought, "There! No worries. At last."

Then, about 4 months ago the floor started cupping! And now it is cupping bad! And the original place where the floor was bucked has bucked up again and looks like it is starting to split. But it is only the new portion of the floor that is doing this. The part of the room that has the old flooring still looks beautiful.
I have a layer of plastic under the house as a barrier between the ground and the floor, and I have run the air conditioner all summer long. It IS humid here in Georgia, but I do not understand why only the new portion of my floor is doing this. My old floor never did this way. I do not know what can be done about it. Or if anything can be.

There were A LOT of other problems with this job other than the floor, including theft, so I have contacted the service/restoration company several times and they will not even return my phone call, so I have no reason to expect that they will care anymore about my floor bucking.

If there is anyone who knows of a solution, please help. Is there any way to tell if there has been permanent damage done to my floor? How can I tell if the guy DID sand too low and sand into the base? Since the floor was only 11 years old, is there a way to tell how much life he took off my floor by doing the damage he did? And is there a way to get this awful cupping and bucking out of the floor, and prevent it from coming back? Also, can my floor ever be refinished again?

Please help me, if there is a way to help.

Thanks so much, in advance,

Analyn

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It doesn't sound like the original moisture issue was actually fixed. Time to crawl under the house.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

The moisture content of the new wood could have been higher than the moisture content of the older wood. The AC draws moisture from the top surface of the wood and the plank cup as a result. The older wood having less moisture isn't as affected by having moisture removed from its top surface, hence less cupping of those planks. Installing wood over an insufficiently dried out substrate (your subfloor) can also result in adding moisture to the back of new wood planks and with the low humidity levels in the conditioned air leading to the cupping.

Just my best guess here. You need someone to come in and do a complete moisture testing and analysis of levels in the wood, the conditioned air and the space below the floor. That will then give you a good picture of why this is occurring as it is.

How long was the subfloor allowed to dry out and was moisture testing done?

• User
    10 years ago

It's more likely that glennsfc's second suggestion is the culprit. If the subfloor wasn't completely dry the moisture would cause the floor to grow from the bottom causing the cupping you see.
    As far as sanding too far, that's ridiculous. It looks like you have solid strip flooring. There is no "base". It's solid Oak top to bottom.
    Without more information I can't speculate why you had a finishing issue the second time and it's moot anyway.

When the floor are was replaced, was the subfloor replaced also? Was any type of moisture barrier added between the wood floor and subfloor? In most cases I don't recommend it, but if the subfloor had a little residual moisture, it would keep that moisture from getting back in the wood.

One last question. What "Bona" are you putting on the floor to get it shiny again?
    Bona cleaner is fine but DO NOT USE Bona Refresher or Bona Polish on a floor, unless it's on it's last legs.

What you need now is an inspector with a moisture meter with pins long enough to got through the floor into the subfloor. Once the moisture levels are determined they should be able to shed some light on the problem.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Everybodys suggestion so far is the exact same i would give you. Unfortunately it sounds like you got stuck with a really bad sander. Im sure the second guy tried his best but it generally takes only one guy who doesnt know what hes doing to mess a floor up. Its a shame because of the amount of sanding required the second go around probably took a lot of life out of your floor. ( im only speculating. Cant be 100% positive without seeing it)

A dehumidifier is a good start it might help lessen the buckling. But its probably going to need another sanding to get flat again.

• analyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll try and answer the questions as best I can.
    I had someone go under the house yesterday - dry as a bone.
    The sub-floor was removed and a new sub-floor was installed before the new flooring was laid, but there was no moisture barrier between the floor and the sub-floor.

Oh heck! I used Bona Floor Polish, JFCWOOD! My floor looked like there was no finish on it at all, and so I used Mohawk Hardwood Floor Cleaner, and then the Bona Polish.

I have not had the moisture level checked, so I guess that will be my next move. Do flooring people do that? I don't even know who to call for that.

Yep, it was definitely a bad sanding job the first time, and the corners of the room still look pretty bad, even though the second team tried their best to fix the damage.

Jeez, I hope I don't have to have it sanded again. I'm running my heat today, and I'll try the dehumidifier.

I really appreciate the advice.

Thanks - a lot!
    Analyn

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

analyn, I don't want to sidetrack this thread but would like to know why the restoration company wasn't a good idea. Our insurance company sent out a restoration company also and we were going to have them do the floors. You can email me privately if you want.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Most wood flooring experts have moisture meters as a tool they use in their work. The fact that there is no moisture retarder between the subfloor and the flooring may be significant. Question: of the portion of the floor that was not replaced, is there a moisture retarder of any kind under that?

Advice for marti8a...

Floor work is a very specialized skilled craft and trade, as some people find out only after their floors are done. A restoration company functions as a general contractor and is involved in restoring properties which have been negatively impacted by natural or accidental events. The company needs to hire people who are trained and know what they are doing during each phase of the restoration. And that is not always the case.

Gather some knowledge about wood flooring and its installation methods and then have a discussion with the restoration company about any concerns you may have. Most knowledgeable professionals will have answers for you other than to say, "Don't worry about it."

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Thanks Glennsfc. I did ask the restoration company estimator (our contact with the company) where their subs came from and he said they are all qualified, background checked, and people they use all the time. Now that I've settled on a specific flooring, I need to find out if his price for that is the same and at that time I do plan on finding out exactly who the flooring people are so I can check them out.