Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsuggestion

Tile stores return policy

mrsuggestion
12 years ago

I just started shopping for tile for a kitchen and laundry room. Some stores charge a restocking fee for returning unopened boxes and some don't allow any returns. Is this common? I'm not optomistic about finding what I want at HD or Lowes because I want 3-4 different size tiles for a pattern. I am on Long Island.

Matt

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    12 years ago

Typically, HD and Lowe's will take back unused product without se-stocking fees. Keep your receipt and you should have no problem...

• mike_home
    12 years ago

This is common with tile stores. I couldn't even return a bag of unused grout.

• mrsuggestion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not about changing my mind. I'm going to be buying 50-60 boxes of tiles and if I don't use one or two unopened boxes, I'd appreciate a return policy with a minimal or no restocking fee.

Matt

• Floortech
    12 years ago

Here is the problem..real simple...if the tile is stocked..they should take it back, but I'll bet you anything it is not stocked. Therefore, it is no longer any good to the store. They will simply throw it away or wait a decade or two to sell the two boxes of returned tile.Flooring suppliers, distributors simply to not take returns on flooring from the retailer thus why on custom, there are no return policies normally. Lowes or HD is the exception to the rule.
    Also, tile and grout do carry dye lot issues so that is another can of worms to open! Good Luck

• mrsuggestion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's not the case. Both places had the tiles in stock in their warehouse. It's a lousy policy and I'm going to try not to do business with that kind of place. My company offers a 90-day trial period, money back incuding shipping on products. It's called customer service.

Matt

• Floortech
    12 years ago

Like I said if the tile is in stock, it should not be a problem...with that said..let me explain something to you from a damned good store and a fair and reasonable business owner. If I sell you 19 boxes of tile after you've shopped me do death and I agree to custom order them at a 20% margin to please you..if you bring 4 boxes of that tile back , I have lost money....plus the handling of the tile, plus the cost of administration of paying for that tile, plus the credit card fee of that tile plus the cost of issuing a refund for that tile, then I am charged by the credit card company for a refund processing fee....Now...I have to throw those 4 boxes out...or simply hand them away for free.....I can not, will not and should not have to eat that fee simply because the customer can not measure properly.....tile has dye lot assigned to them thus why the manufacturer will not accept the return. If you do not wish to deal with a store with that policy, that store doesent want you...you should deal with other stores. I recently brought in 171 linear ft of carpet for a good account that changed their mind on the specialized product...A very unique product that we will never sell to the general public...I convinced the manufacturer to take the roll back...but I am charged a 1050 dollar fee plus shipping on the return. So you know

• mrsuggestion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're in agreement. I'm only referring to stock tile. When my company makes a custom product, we're not taking it back either. It's also not just measuring properly, but the homeowner is reliant on the effeciency of the contractor. Also, the color variation may cause the use of additional tiles. When I spend $3-4K on stock tile, the store should accept one or two boxes back if asked.

Matt

• floorman67
    12 years ago

"... When I spend $3-4K on stock tile, the store should accept one or two boxes back if asked ..."

No, they shouldnt. They should adhere to their policy/contract and so should you, and you should not expect preferential treatment. You are completely ignoring the policy. You are completely ignoring the additional costs to them. You are completely ignoring the dye lot issue. A different dye lot, even for in stock items, may be night and day shade variances. If its in stock, they go through a lot of it, meaning the chance they have any of you dye lot left is minimal. Just taking time to address your return is labor wages lost. You do not realize that todays mom and pop retailer is gliding on a knife edge between profit and loss because of competition with big boxes. You should be happy there are still some left that keeps the money you spend in your community instead of shipping it off to a multi national coporation paying someone a poke in the eye and a bowll of rice/beans to manufacture it. Or buy somewhere else.

• mrsuggestion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If that's the case, then I will buy somewhere else.

• sserra85
    12 years ago

I agree with FloorTech.... While my company never charges a restocking fee, most stores do. That does't mean you shouldn't buy there.. If you are aware of the charge, then there should not be any surprises when you try to return items. Simply order what you need and if you need more then just re-order. Restocking or not, a good company will make you aware of all charges and policies up front.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

My tile store has a restocking fee, BUT they allow you to buy the exact number of tiles you need so you don't have to buy a whole carton if you need only one tile. He said the restocking fee is because if he didn't, the tile contractors would just buy way too much and return the unused, instead of measuring the room.

• dodgers141
    8 years ago

If the store ordered based on THEIR measurement and there was at least one unopened box, they should take the product back, imo. In my case, I had a several thousand dollar tile job. They over ordered the floor tile by 25%, and now they are saying they will not accept the unopened box for return (without even mentioning a restocking fee.) Point is, they mis-measured and why should I pay for it. (They also over charged by 25% for installation on that particular tile, and I'm not even disputing that.) Thoughts, please.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago

@dodgers141: This thread is almost 4 yrs old.

• dodgers141
    8 years ago

Four or forty years, the same problems exist. Store over orders due to mis-measurement, then will not accept the unopened product for refund. Of course, they also added in the installation cost for the overage.

My wife and I opened a successful retail store and operated it for 14 years. (It's still profitable, another 15 years after we sold it.) It's all about customer service! We took back lots of product and had tremendous success through repeat customers. This tile store is trying to guarantee I will never set foot in their business again.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

WOW, I consider myself very lucky then. We bought tile at Floor & Décor in Houston TX and had 90 days to return boxes and single tiles. You can buy a piece or a box or a pallet and all is returnable. I can understand if a small biz owner can't afford to do this but as a consumer, perhaps researching return policy BEFORE buying is the strategy to use.