Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dljmth

Floor transition 3/4" to 1/4"?

dljmth
11 years ago

We are remodeling and adding a new kitchen to existing house. The new kitchen is adjacent to the existing dining room. Our current dining room has 5/8" top nail down white oak flooring - original flooring which has been sanded several times on an 60 year old house. We would like to have a level floor so the contractor dropped the floor in the kitchen addition to allow for a 3/4" new wood floor in the kitchen to line up with the existing floor in the dining room which he measured at 1/4" because of the floors previous sanding. All that seemed to work fine, but now we find ourselves in a situation where it looks like we will not be able to preserve the old flooring (long story). The new addition foundation and subfloor is already in so I am in search of a 1/4" floor to match. I suppose we can install 5/8" and sand it down - but are there any alternatives to this approach?

Additionally, if we install new 5/8" flooring and sand it down to 1/4" so the floor is level between the kitchen and dining room, it will effect another transition. The dining room connects to a hallway which as a result of changing out the dining room floors will be 5/8" (or 1/4" because of extra sanding)lower than the dining room. Any clever ideas of how to make my floors all level? Is there a way to do a 1/4" reduction that feels seamless? I'm guessing it's impossible and I will simply have to live with a threshold/transition between the hallway and dining room.

Please, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler