Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannette10

glued engineered wood floor - need 1/4 round?

jeannette10
10 years ago

Hi
I have 3 bids to install (GLUE method) engineered wood floor in my living room/dining room.
One of the estimates include 1/4rounds (actually base shoe molding around the perimeter of the area).
The other 2 do not mention any base shoe molding.

Is it necessary to have these moldings or can they use the current baseboard which is very low and about 1/4 inch wide ?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I am just now learning about wood floors and it overwhelms me.
Thank you
p.s: I have attached a photo of the current base board.

Comments (8)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

They can use the original baseboards. You dont have to use 1/4 round. If they dont add the shoe they will need to remove the baseboard.

Check with whomever you decide to see if the removal AND install of baseboard is included in your price.

• jeannette10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, Gregmills.
    What I would like them to do is remove the small baseboard, glue the new engineered floor and put the the baseboard back. Is that possible, given that the baseboard if about 1/4" thick ?

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Can it it be done? Yes. You should allow the floor a bit more of an expansion gap. But a lot of it depends on how well you keep your inside environment like. Ive seen floors installed super tight with little room for expansion and it was fine.

Since i dont know the environment type in your home i would err on the caution side of things and suggest getting new base or adding shoe.

• jeannette10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Greg.
    I am still having some trouble understanding our a GLUED engineered floor can move/expand but I guess it does :-)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Regardless how any wood is adhered it still expands and contracts. Its not going to expand a full inch but it will move some.

The trouble is getting the floor so tight against a wall just so a 1/4 base will fit is almost too tight. You can just go ahead but for my own piece of mind if i was installing it would be to add some shoe or get a thicker base.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

You may want to consider having new baseboard installed. Some installers balk at removing baseboard, as chances are some of it gets ruined in the process. However, best way to do what you want is to have the baseboard removed and then reinstalled or replaced with new.

• jeannette10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Glenn
    I am OK with getting new baseboards but I don't want them too high. Do they make them similar to the one on my photo but thicker ?
    I am meeting with the installer later this week ...the one who said I don't need the base shoe. The engineered wood is Mohawk Rockford Natural Maple and is 3/8" thick.I don't know if the thickness of the wood floor makes a difference (it will be glued to concrete.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Thickness of the engineered product makes no difference. As gregmills points out, wood flooring will move some, even engineered, and it is prudent to follow manufacturer's installation guidelines as much as you can.

Baseboard of different heights and thicknesses are readily available.

Oh you will be so happy to get rid of that berber...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES