Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finishing edge of laminate

Posted by deejayjay (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 15:46

We have a bi level, or split entry home. You walk in the front door and go either up or down 6 steps. We are putting laminate down throughout house. Plan to put real wood treads on steps. My question is , How do we finish that edge of the living room that is open to the open stairwell. Now, there is a lip that carpet is wrapped around similar to what has been done on the stairs. How do we finish the laminate on the edge that has no wall. I hope someone understands what I mean. I'm sure I'm not the only person to live in one of these stupid 70's era bilevels.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finishing edge of laminate

I didn't run laminate throughout, but at the point you're talking about, I laid 1x6 oak. You could do the same thing, and cut it on a table saw to fit over your laminate.

Can't figure out how to upload more than one picture @ a time, so I will post another picture of what I did with 1x4 oak for the transition strips I put for the dining room, kitchen, & at the patio door.

You have to put more effort in it than just cutting a transition strip to size, but the results are well worth it.

o

This is the transitions I made for the 1x4 oak.

o

Some manufacturers produce nosing profiles that can be used with their products. The problem you are faced with is the fact that the nosing must have an overlap edge, so that the laminate flooring is unattached to it and leaves the flooring a floating creation. If you restrict its movement, you will likely have issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here