Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crhbobby1

How to choose kitchen/dining room flooring?

crhbobby1
9 years ago

Hi...

We are 2 weeks away from signing off on all selections on our house. I can't seem to make a decision on flooring for the kitchen, dining room, and mudroom.

The builder has an engineered Shaw hard wood product in our scope at the moment. We are 2 adults and 2 kids... I am afraid that they will get damaged.

I am getting a quote for some handscraped looking porcelain wood tile. Looks nice - but I am worried about it being hard and cold.

I have considered luxury vinyl tile - but what I have seen at the home store looks fake and plastic like. I liked the look of Duraceramic tile...but when I found out it was about $5 per square foot - I think this would get expensive fast. I also have read several complaints of the color coming off and edge chipping.

I looked at Pergo XP products at Home Depot today - and I am intrigued. While the cost of this is not far from the engineered hardwood, I believe the install costs would be cheaper. This product is thicker...and appears to be as thick as the engineered hardwoods. Just like hardwoods...I fear of the floors getting wet in the kitchen. I have read that you can seal the edges in water prone areas. I have been leaning towards Pergo XP since I saw the product this morning.

The house is a 3600 sq ft home in Indiana. The finish quality of the house will be middle of the road... Not highend...but definitely not lowi end.

I have searched and read opinions on this already...but I still haven't reached a decision. Does anyone have any insight on how they choose kitchen flooring? I believe whatever we choose for the kitchen, will be used in the dining room and mudroom. We may also use it in the entryway if it is a wood look product. Our home is open concept.

I welcome anyone's thoughts and opinions...

Comments (3)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Its no secret around here that im a fan of Hardwood. maybe because that's all I do, but none the less. Floors are going to get beat up. nothing lasts forever.

Have you considered site finished solid hardwood?
    I understand your concerns about floors getting wet in the kitchen, and honestly its not that bad. of course unless you drop a pot of water or the dishwasher malfunctions.

but as for little spills most any product will hold up to that. biggest thing is to make sure you take care of the spill asap.

small rugs infront of sinks and fridges and high traffic areas can help prolong the life of the floor before a refinishing needs to be dealt with.

Even with Engineered wood some you can refinish at least once. depends on the product.

If you're concerned with the tile being too hard and cold, have you looked into infloor heat?

• crhbobby1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am trying to stay budget friendly...which I assume in floor heat would be quite costly.

I believe what is currently scoped by default is 3.69 a square foot range engineered hardwood floor. (product only - not including install.) I am trying to keep whatever I pick in the same price range. The porcelain tile will likely cost more though as it is. The tile is cheaper, but the install costs are quite a bit more.

I want something durable..easy to clean...and easy on the feet.

I am almost sold between the hardwood floor and the Pergo XP. I have tested the samples for durability...The Pergo wins hands down..but the wood sample has a warm and characteristic that even the high grade laminate cannot replicate.

My wife is very afraid of the wood floor getting wet and getting ruined.

I would assume that site finished hardwood would be more costly than engineered.. I did not even look at these at the store - it appeared that the home store has mostly prefinished.

Thanks for you response.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

We had solid hardwood in the entire house (except bathroom and entry hall). Held up well in the kitchen. Would even damp mop it (not wet mop). On the other hand if you have small children and expect gallons of spilled milk going down, it's probably not the best choice....