Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jphillips_3_gw

luxury vinyl planks brands... experiences and opinions needed!

jphillips_3
10 years ago

We want to install LVP. I have been researching a bunch. There are MANY brands out there...
I really want something that has a slight bevel as I think it looks more real wood. I want a minimum wear layer of 20 mil. And I don't want it to look "plastic like".

Many are coated in aluminum oxide. Some are with a urethane and ceramic beading mix. I really want something that will be MOST resistant to those surfact scratches (in that top coating). It seams both "can" scratch" but that aluminum oxide has a "white" appearance in the scratch and the urethane blends in more. Thoughts or experience??

Brands I am down to....Tarkett Transcend line or Karndean Art Select. I have also read good things about Amtico, but haven't been able to see any of it yet.

Experience? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks

Comments (14)

• Sms
    10 years ago

We just installed IVC Moduleo Horizon and love it! Almost went with Karndean Art Select but thought it looked really fake compared to the IVC. CarpetOne sells an OEM line if IVC too I think it's called Titanium. Specs in the link below but wear layer is 0.5 on Horizon line. I think their Vision line is more like 0.2+ if I recall. Can't comment on durability yet but am very pleased with the aesthetics.

Here is a link if you are still shopping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

This post was edited by zeitgast on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 0:27

• picabelle
    8 years ago

Hi Zeitgeist. A year and a half since you posted about your Moduleo floors. Can you tell me your opinion now? And what color is that? Looks similar to what I have selected. Eager to hear from you!

• Lori K
    8 years ago

Hi, saw your post regarding vinyl flooring. What brand did you choose and what is your opinion? I so wish Zeitgeist would update on their MOduelo. We are considering putting in 1600sqft.

Thank you in advance for your response

• silken1
    8 years ago

I've been searching too, trying to decide what brand. Was impressed with some Moduleo I saw the other day in a showroom. But somewhere on GW I found one thread where several people had Moduleo planks curling up a bit at the ends. I think they called it 'peaking'. So that threw me off! I need to do a little over 1,000 sq. ft. so some feedback would be helpful by people who have had LVP for several years.

• Erin Jane
    8 years ago

We are in the same boat - getting ready to install 1700 square feet in our new condo. The front runner right now is CFS 12 mm in Whisper - the samples look great and seem durable, I just can't find anyone who's had any real experience with them. Please speak up if you do!

• Donna E
    8 years ago

Loving our Mannington Adura plank. We got the glue down in Vintage Oak, natural. It seems very durable, it has a nice texture and looks real.

• hildegard802
    8 years ago

We used Moduleo Latin Limestone on a concrete subfloor. It was the glue-down, not click- together. From the moment it was installed, it was a nightmare. It showed every single tiny flaw in the subfloor. It showed every speck of dust, lint, etc. It scratched easily. It kept coming up at edges. I do not believe it was entirely an installation issue, as we have have relative who had problems with the click-together and had it redone. After a second install, the issues remained--it wouldn't stay down, showed every flaw in the subfloor (they had a new wood subfloor). I would never, ever recommend Moduleo. It's like it sucks itself down to the subfloor (yet the edges keep coming up) and magnifies the least little imperfections, plus it is far from durable. And it's expensive to boot! Fortunately we were able to replace it at no cost to us and got a dura-ceramic type tile, which we love.

• claudia rocklin
    7 years ago

That's a bummer! I'm building g a new house and thinking of module horizon. I wonder if they've corrected the problems. Hummm...

• poppashat
    7 years ago

Engage Genesis from Metroflor has some of the best looking rigid core LVT products that I've come across. There are tons of these products out there now, but these are really nice looking. They have multi width and long planks and are treated with Ultra Fresh to help prevent mold and mildew. Very nice product. I believe all of their better 20 mil products are embossed in register. Very realistic looking. Also lots of those high contrast looks. There website is metroflorusa.com.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

When it comes to glue down vinyl - it is a wonderful product - but tricky. The trick to it is the preparation. No one in the flooring world will offer warranty without the moisture readings/ratings of the concrete slab it was glued to.

This can be known as 'ambient' humidity (relative humidity in both the concrete slab and the air can also be known as 'ambient' humidity). Gluing down to slabs takes HUGE amounts of knowledge and high-end adhesives. High end means $2-$3 per SQUARE FOOT!

When gluing down, make sure the subfloor is tested for moisture (especially concrete) and you get a copy of that testing documentation. A great flooring installer will do this without being asked. A good flooring installer will do it when asked - and they will have the tools available. An average flooring guy won't have the tools but they "understand" the basics (won't be up to speed but can get a test done in a pinch) and the bad installers won't have a clue.

Ambient humidity can mean "household living conditions". There are documents that tell you what that means (RH between 35%-55%; Temp between 55 F - 82F). If you cannot prove that you can maintain these situations, you the warranty (for any flooring product) is void.

Good luck. The Moduleo may not be the issue. The conditions of the subfloor, the adhesive used, the amount of adhesive used and the lack of testing/proof of the conditions before, during and after install may be the issue.

• liasnan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@silken1 : I have a moduleo luxury vinyl, new install 11 months ago and we are having the curling/peaking issue. Can you please tell me where you read that thread? I'm searching for more consumer information on this issue. Thank you!

• silken1
    7 years ago

@liasnan, It was over a year ago so I don't remember, sorry. It would have been under the flooring section here. One I saw has the same comment by the same poster here (zeltgast) whose curled after 2 years of use. I found them by searching the flooring section on LVP vinyl flooring mostly.

• Terry Royce
    6 years ago

For those that are having the curling issue, is it installed on concrete, or is this on a wood subfloor?

I read that Moduleo is the only LVT that is covered from direct sunlight, but then came across this thread.