Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

FloorMuffler Ultraseal installation question

f1668065
9 years ago

Preparing to install Floor Muffler Ultraseal underlayment over plywood subfloor. Step 2 of manufactures installation instructions (see link below) ends with "...When installing the FloorMuffler UltraSeal, leave at least 2 inches going up the wall.". However, the image doesn't appear to show this.

Assuming, I'm installing the underlayment all in the same direction. I can see how it'll be easy enough to leave 2" going up wall in front of the roll but how would you handle leaving at least 2" going up the wall in the corners and along side wall???

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation Instructions: FloorMuffler Ultraseal

Comments (7)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

I use this stuff all the time....don't worry about leaving 2 inches up the wall

my guess is why they suggest it is because when you get it down it will tend to shift around, since its just floating.

just cut it to length and you will be good to go.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

one more tip, if you use a mallet or a hammer or anything to bang the flooring together, watch carefully when you swing. this stuff tears very easily.

its not the end of the world if you do, just tape down the torn flap and continue on.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

I was also wonderingâ¦How am I going to use the expansion gap spacers for the flooring, if I go up the wall 2"?

How do you minimize? "...it will tend to shift around..."

Do you roll the entire floor at once then add all flooring afterward or do a section of underlayment & flooring at a time?

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

depends on how fast you go, or how big the room is.

for example if your doing a simple 10x10 square room, then you could roll out the entire room first.

but for most anything else, I would do one or two rows first, and then start laying the floor.

once you have a few rows of floor installed it doesn't shift around as much, its just the initial few minutes after you lay the floor muffler, and begin to lay the planks.

• Michael Bagaglia
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd like to ask a question. I was wondering about that 2" up the wall as well. I saw your response to that question... thank you for that.. My question now is, the installation instructions say to lay the flooring the opposite direction as the floor muffler. But in one of your responses above you wrote to basically lay the flooring the same direction as the muffler.... adding layers of muffler and flooring as you go. The room I am doing is about 29 ft by 13 ft. Should I run the planks parallel with the muffler or going the opposite direction (or perpendicular) .... meaning the planks cross over multiple sheets of muffler along the wall etc.. as the directions state?

• gregmills_gw
    8 years ago

you can run the planks any direction you wish. if you find its easier to roll out multiple sheets of the floor muffler and then run the planks across the multiple sheets then ok. i dont, its easier for me to run the planks parallel to one row of the underlayment. just make sure the sheets of floor muffler dont overlap and the the seams are tight and secured together.