Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help for sun damaged wood floors

Posted by maisoui1 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 14:37

We recently bought a home which has tons of huge windows which let in loads of light. Unfortunately, the previous owners had areas rugs. There is a dark outline of each area rug on the floors. (In other words, the sun-exposed areas are lighter than where the rugs were.) I have rugs but they are different size and shape so the color difference does show in some areas. The floors are oak and more of a natural finish. It has more of a yellowish hue to it. I am generally partial to darker wood but given how much we lost on our last house I want to do as little in the way of permanent changes as possible. I just used the orange glo refinisher on one section of the floor and it looks good - but of course didn't help the color issue. Is there a tint or gel or polish that I could mix with the refinisher to polish the floor to sort of darken the color? If the color could be improved by a few shades, I would be happy. I am trying to avoid refinishing the entire house.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help for sun damaged wood floors

I'm sure other people will chime in but to my knowledge the only way to get rid of all those lines would be to sand and refinish the floor.

o

The color differences will even out in a few months.

o

I agree -- it should even out in time. Our master bath has an oak floor and skylights. We had a rug in front of the sink for years, and when we eventually got rid of the rug the floor was a different color underneath. You can't see it at all now. I can't remember how long it took though, sorry. If you can live with it for a while, it ought to be fine.

o

Yup. It will even out with time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here