Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Recommendations for transition of cork to exterior threshold

JHZR2
9 years ago

We refurbished the kitchen in our 1925 home, and it has come out spectacularly. One small issue remains though - the exterior door and threshold. If it were only one of the two issues, it would still be a question to post here, but with two it makes it a bit more complex.

In an old house, like many, back in the day some floors were laid upon others. So in ours, we had small tiles under 1/4" plywood with two layers of linoleum, on top of which was a floated wood floor. We pulled all of it up, down to the original wood subfloor.

As a result, the bottom of the door was cut long ago, so it's way high. I need to either add a bottom sweep or a real high threshold.

So, the sill/threshold is old, original wood, great shape, no need to remove or change... But it is at a different height than the floor even now. See the picture I've attached.

So... What's the best way to deal with this?

How should I transition the floor to something else? How should I transition or bridge from the end of the floor to a place that it touches the wood threshold/sill?

For the door, should I build the transition/threshold tgat I add up, or the door down? I've seen those plastic u-shaped door bottom pieces, but they seem flimsy. I'd think screwing wood to the bottom would be better, perhaps with a kerf seal/weather strip integrated.

So, what's the best set of parts, or metal/wood threshold product to use for this???

Thanks!!

Comment (1)