Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsutton01_gw

Considering Stranded Bamboo in Phoenix, AZ. Unwise?

dsutton01
9 years ago

I've heard lots of horror stories about installing bamboo in the arizona desert, and so I've avoided it as I shop for the ~800 square feet of hardwood floors to replace the carpet in my 3 bedrooms.

Recently, I was in a store here called "Floor & Decor" and noticed a gorgeous strand woven dark bamboo product that appealed to me. The store clerk assured me that it is much more durable than standard bamboo flooring, and that it's resistant to the typical problems that bamboo floors in dry climates like ours face. I've done more research online, and it seems like everyone agrees that strand woven bamboo is super tough and durable, but I'm still skeptical.

I also found birch and hickory engineered products that I liked. The birch felt much to soft, and the hickory was nice, but I prefer the look of the strand woven bamboo. I'd like to avoid dings, dents, and scratches as much as possible. My thermostat typically shows the humidity in my house between 35% - 45% (though I should probably get a real tool to measure it). I would be installing over a concrete subfloor with a high-quality underlayment. I think the strand woven product I was eyeing was glue down, but may have been floating. Can't recall.

Any advice from those who have tried this in Arizona or who understand strand woven bamboo and its behavior around here with humidity in the 30s- 40s?

I'd sure appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Comments (3)