Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

area rugs? (long)

tansunny
13 years ago

I am getting my hardwood floors refinished next week and I will be in the market for some area rugs. I am having the living room, dining room, hall and 3 bedrooms finished. I don't have a fortune to spend on rugs and I'll probably get some that are pretty inexpensive and then upgrade later, but it would depend on what I find. I have some questions.

First of all, I don't know anything about rugs. I don't know what they can/should be made of, what to look for in quality or even really where to by them (aside from Lowes, etc). We did check Lowe's/Home Depot and were not impressed. I have not checked Hagopian (not sure if this is a regional place) but my understanding is that they are VERY expensive. I have looked online a little bit and I tend to like the designs that are on Pottery Barn/The Company Store type places more than the tradiontal oriental type style rugs.

So...where do I look to buy rugs? What materials are best for dining area? What materials are best for bedrooms? Also, the living area and dining area are all one room, so while the two rugs don't have to match, they should coordinate somewhat. Finally, I don't even know how you are supposed to place rugs....Is the furinture supposed to be completely on them? Half on, half off? Can someone show me pictures of how to decorate with area rugs?

Thanks!

Comments (4)