Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using filler in a new hardwood installation?

Posted by donaldsg (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 13:11

Yesterday our contractor finished installing new unfinished oak floors in our new kitchen and will be coming back later today to sand and stain them. When I went to look at them this morning I saw that the entire floor has been covered with wood filler that has obviously been left to dry overnight. My heart fell because the beautiful oak I saw a few days ago is now covered in a beige mess. I've watched a lot of DIY shows and I've never seen this done.

Is it usual to use wood filler like this on a new floor installation? The floorboards were nailed in the side and there should be no nail holes to fill, so I am truly puzzled. Surely the boards should be left with natural gaps to expand and contract? or if filling gaps in the boards is not the purpose is there some other reason to do this?

Also, is it usual to sand a newly installed floor? Obviously, now it has to be sanded to remove the wood filler, but I'm concerned that we are paying for an unnecessary step.

I'm really not sure what to ask my contractor when he shows up later or whether to say anything about it. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using filler in a new hardwood installation?

Paste wood filler is used to fill the pores in the wood, not the gaps between the boards.

A newly installed hardwood floor that will be site finished requires sanding before finishing.

The sanding creates a flat surface.

o

Thanks for the info, brickeyee. That is reassuring to know and I didn't have to query my contractor with silly questions. I find it odd that when I did a google search for installing and finishing wood floors I got various websites, but none mentioned this step and I've never seen it done or mentioned on DIY shows. Is it something that is considered an optional extra step? Or is it usual?

o

Forget what you've seen on DIY shows...professionals are appalled by the misinformation that sometimes shows up on them.

I install and finish wood flooring.

1. Wood filler is part of a professional sand and finish. There are always minor defects to correct with filler on ANY unfinished wood flooring install.

2. ALL newly-installed unfinished flooring gets sanded.

o

Thanks, glennsfc. Could you also have a look at the new question I just posted? I'd love to have the opinion of a professional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here