Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

How do I determine the "straightest wall"?

f1668065
9 years ago

Engineered wood floating-click on plywood.

Manufacturers instructions say to start installing at "straightest wall". How do I determine, which wall is the "straightest wall"?

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Use a laser level and check the wall end to end.

Whichever one has the smallest wobble to it.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

if you have a lazer level or the ability to rent one, yes.

if you don't have access to that, then simply find a plywood seam, and measure off the wall to the seam. that's probably the easiest way of doing it. if the distances from the seam to the wall is equal, all the way down than the wall is straight.

be warned though, hardly any walls are ever truly straight. if you can find one that's within an 1/8th inch difference you're going to be fine.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

since the floor is floated, you will have ample opportunity to adjust the straightness as you go. so don't fret too much.

best advice I can give ya is find the longest run you have and start there. if that happens to be in the middle of the room then you can always back fill the floor.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!
    I do have a Stanley 77-500 Intellilaser but have not figured out how to see if the wall is straight. Aside from that, longest run sounds good. ;)

• lamman
    9 years ago

The straightest wall is not always the best place to start. I have installed many wood and laminate jobs and the first thing I look at is where the flooring is going to meet up with other areas such as ceramic tile, hallways, entry doors ect.

Most of the time an outside wall will be the straightest. But if your ceramic tile across the room isn't parallel the flooring will show that when it is installed up to it.

Besides the straightest wall might be the wall where the TV or sofas sit.

I always want the flooring to be straight along the areas that are most visible when the floor is done.

You also need to consider hallways as you want the flooring to be straight going down the hallway.

Just determine where you want the floor to look straight and do your layout based on that.

Hope this helps some

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!
    Here's a quick sketch I made of the layoutâ¦I am also planning to remove parquet from stairs, sand & re-finish old staircase.

Where would you start?

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

which way do your floor joist run?

• lamman
    9 years ago

Which way do you want the floor to go? This will determine which walls to pick from when you start.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Floor joists actually run just like the lines on the paper from left to right. Installation instruction stateâ¦"When possible, begin installation from the straightest wall. If possible, install the flooring perpendicular to the joists."

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

I would start in the main hallway. theres no real right answer about where to start, it more depends on where you want. for example if you want to get the master bedroom done first so you can move furniture back in there, then start there.

I would def run the planks across the joists. unless you beefed up your subfloor.