Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building Steps & using Mirage brand stain to match?

Posted by tyjy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 11:48

I know this brand is not widely used by folks on this forum but hoping someone in the flooring business who sells Mirage or a woodworker will know the answer to this, or give me some advice...

We installed: Mirage Lock flooring, Maple, Charcoal color, in the Cashmere (matte) finish with a special "Nanolinx" coating.

We're considering building two steps down to our carpeted great room (from the Mirage floored dining room) using 12" wide, 3-4" thick, solid maple planks, in a "floating" style manner (instead of covering existing steps with Mirage flooring and expensive Mirage stair nose).

The Mirage website says:
"Assorted Stains:
For true harmony between colors and species, Mirage offers stains for stairways, cabinets, and other wood surfaces that match your floor. These water-based stains are available in all Mirage colors."

Has anyone done this? Do you think it'll match WELL if we stain the real, solid maple boards with the Mirage stain? What do you think about matching that Nanolinx coating?

Aesthetics: Do you think a 12" wide board (if the stain matches) will look odd because it's different than the 4" wide Mirage boards?

I don't expect many answers but sure hope I get some : )
Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building Steps & using Mirage brand stain to match?

It will not look odd, if you are able to get the stain on without a blotchy looking result. Then, you have to coat the stained maple with a matching gloss level waterborne polyurethane. This would not be impossible to do for a professional wood floor finisher.

o
RE: Building Steps & using Mirage brand stain to match?

glennsfc: Thank You So Much for answering : )

Since I posted I looked up "stain" on this forum and actually found a couple posts about really bad blotchyness occuring on "maple" in particular! WHO KNEW! I had NO idea! Before you wrote I thought, there goes that idea!

You give me a little encouragement though. I'll get a quote from a pro and see how it compares to the Mirage materials. It's the Stairnose that's so expensive! Thought solid maple steps might look cooler though too!

You're great! Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here