Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Possible to refinish half of a wood floor?

northcarolina
13 years ago

Our kitchen/den is one long room. The den half has 1.5" red oak (original to the house); it was refinished just a few years ago when we ripped out the carpet. The kitchen half is laminate, the snap-together kind that looks like tile; there is subfloor underneath but the hardwood does not extend into the kitchen. The flooring is laid longitudinally, so if we put it in the kitchen it would be end-to-end with what's in the den. We have put new site-finished 1.5" red oak in other parts of the house, and though it is not a 100% exact match with the 60 year old floor, it is so close that I would not be concerned about any difference in the look between kitchen and den. My question is: if we ever do extend the hardwood into the kitchen, is it possible to leave the den floor alone, or would it HAVE to be refinished again? I am guessing the answer is that we would have to refinish the whole shebang... just hoping not...

While I am here, any opinions on water- vs oil-based finish? Our original floors are essentially bulletproof and we never see scuffs, or maybe the wood grain just hides them. Our newer floor does show a lot of scuff marks and the finish doesn't seem to hold up quite as well. I remember some discussion about oil vs water-based finish at the time we installed it and am pretty sure we went with water-based. If we do the kitchen, do we want to get an oil-based finish? (We have little kids with possible respiratory concerns, so in general I don't like oil-based anything if I can help it... it is a question of how long they would need to go stay with their grandparents while it was being done.)

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• woodfloorpro
    13 years ago

Yes it is possible. You can turn a board and transition to the original staining the new floor to match and then match the sheen level of the new to the original. You are best served using a knowledgeable pro for this job.

The most satisfying result would be to finger in the new to the old then sand it all. Properly done it will all appear to be original.

• northcarolina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the advice!