Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfre

QTR& rift sawn 2 1/4" T&G White Oak

jackfre
10 years ago

I just had 410sqft of this flooring laid in our new kitchen. As the title says, it is rift and Qtr sawn. To my eye, and I know what I am looking at I would think that there would be at least 25% of one grain pattern in the mix. The floor looks beautiful pre-finish but is almost entirely rift sawn. I counted the number of boards with any qtr sawn pattern and out of 410sq ft there are about 25 boards and most of them are shorties. The first coat of finish goes on today so I will confirm the count. The guy who laid the floor did an excellent job and it will look great finished. That said I'm more than a little hot over what I would call mis-representation and will have the vendor out next week. Nothing can be done at this point and we'll be in the new kitchen next week but I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Make sure, if you are ordering and told that you are buying a mix product that you ask more detailed questions about exactly what you will be getting

Comments (3)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Each mill has its own interpretation of QTR & Rift, #1 common and so forth and each has its own way of inspecting and selecting the product. Even packaging is different from mill to mill. You can still find 'bundled' flooring (equal lengths tied together), but most is now packaged as 'nested' bundles, which contain mixed lengths in each bundle.

Standardization in appearance of a natural product, such as wood, is difficult to establish. Consumers pay a hefty upcharge when requesting all QTR sawn or Rift sawn or all long lengths.

I am not excusing your concerns, just describing some of the basic nature of the product and how it gets to the consumer.

• User
    10 years ago

If it's not plain sawn, all quartered or all rift, it must be rift and quartered. Quarter sawn doesn't necessarily mean that the medullary rays run exactly parallel to the board surface.

I suggest you do something that helps you cool off before speaking to your floor vendor. Being more than a little hot serves no positive purpose.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

My rift and quartered was supposed to be 60-70% rift and the rest quartered. I have under 10% quartered, which doesn't bother me -- I would have ordered all rift, but R & Q was significantly cheaper.

What I didn't like was that there is a lot of flat sawn appearance. The boards may show some rift, but some boards show a lot more cathedral than rift. Also, there were a significant number of shorts under the 12" minimum, quite a number of boards discarded for bad milling, etc. I had ordered 10% more than my installer would normally order (so I could be picky), but had to order even more, and still had to use boards that should have been used for kindling wood. My service/delivery/etc. from Hurst Hardwoods was fine, but I should have paid another $1.40/sq ft and bought the material locally.