Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floor pros please help

Posted by typeprof (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 10:50

I have just installed rift only white oak floors that need to be finished. I am not a huge oak fan, but thought the rift was less grainy and it was a good compromise for my marriage ;-)

I thought I might use Waterlox to finish based on reviews here, but I am running out of time before the cabinets come (nowhere to store them) and we have to live in the house while this happens. I would like a chestnut colored floor, but the samples I have tried make this beautiful wood look like a "gunstock" sample from Lowes! It really calls out the grain and looks sort of lifeless.

Questions:
What brand of stains do you recommend that I can use with a waterbased sealer? Which waterbased sealers look best (not plasticy)? Is there a stain that I can mix into the sealer that will tint the floor without having the heavy grain pop out of the wood so boldly? I am looking for the best possible results in a limited time frame with low fumes...I know, wishful thinking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floor pros please help

Rift sawn white oak has medullary rays that are prominent features of the wood and cannot be negated because they are characteristic of the wood. If these are not pleasing to you, you would have done better using a different wood.
As for the stain and finish, I use the Bona Kemi stains and their Traffic clear finish. This is not available at home stores. You will have to purchase it at a business that sells to professional installers. You can go on line and get the specifics on this product. There are other products out there that are proprietary floor finishes that are also good but I don't use a fits all finish.

o

I agree with the above.

Rift sawn white oak finished well is an outstandingly beautiful floor.

o

I love a natural white oak. I wanted it in my living room...well, some day I hope.

If you want to see a beautiful natural white oak floor, check out this thread. Scroll down to the photo.

There's a comment in the thread about white oak looking great with a Waterlox finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of new white oak floor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here