Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper subfloor when you have hardwod over concrete!!

Posted by jamshed (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 10:02

I am replacing the kitchen floor in my daughter's 1930's DC coop townhouse. The kitchen has hardwood floors which are sturdy, but the finish is ruined and water damaged. She wants to put down tile.

Now I know that Hardiback over hardwood is a no-no. But here's what we found. We pulled up one of the hardwood boards and underneath it is a concrete floor. (She is on the second floor.) The hardwood is not laying directly on the concrete which is quite rough. There are 1x2 (?) slats that appear to be fixed to the concrete, and the hardwood is nailed down perpendicular to the slats. The floor is perfectly level, but as I said earlier, the oak hardwood has shrunk, specially near the sink and dishwasher.

QUESTION: What should we do. My gut tells me we should rip out the hardwood and put down 3/4" ext ply over the slats, then thinset down 1/4" Hardiboard and finally the tiles.

Does this sound like a good idea? I don't want to cut corners, but I also don't want to do anything unnecessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper subfloor when you have hardwod over concrete!!

Some people go to great lengths to have concrete floors. I know your plans are to lay down wood, but what about just giving the concrete a nice polish and stain?
Best of luck with your project, I hope your daughter appreciates your efforts.

o

Skip the plywood + cement board, and just apply Ditra to the concrete floor as a tile substrate. Installing wood just adds a component to the floor that can move and cause cracking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra installation info (see pg 10)

o

"Some people go to great lengths to have concrete floors. "

And many of them regret it as they age and the stiffness of the floor takes its toll on knees, hips, and backs.

Or you add cushioned mats to stand on creating one more thing to clean.

o

The concrete floor is VERY rough and would not make a suitable substrate, even for Ditra. I'm thinking of just doing the ply over the slats and Hardibacker and tile.

The good thing is that the slats aren't going to flex at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here