Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Choosing floors for new house...

Posted by cherilswanson (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 9:33

Long story short, building house and was going to have dark stained (diluted black) concrete flooring throughout the entire house. Had problem come up with electrical conduit surfacing through living area floor. Builder and I decided that it would be better to install wood flooring in living, breakfast area and kitchen (this is open plan), rather than risk staining the floor and it not looking good. Builder is paying the cost for the wood floors and they will be 5-inch handscraped oak floors. My cabinets and island will be antique white. I thought I wanted dark hardwood floors to blend in with dark scored concrete in foyer and hallways, but when I held a piece of the dark reddish color wood next to the stain it looked bad to me. Should I stay with a dark color to blend with adjoining hallways and foyer, or would a light color wood look ok? My furniture is going to be dark, except for dining table and chairs, which is french country white. I have read posts on here about nightmares keeping darker wood floors clean. I don't have small children, but do have a golden retriever and a cat. I think I am stressing too much over this! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Choosing floors for new house...

I know you've made your decision...but why is stained concrete out? I can't believe a builder would be stymied by this and not devise a plan.

o

Sorry Glenn, just now seeing your response. The builder has a fear that the electrical conduit may at a later time resurface in another area close by the area that is already surfacing. The builder would much rather spend less money on stained floors than wood floors, but due to this concern we have decided wood may be best.

o

The floor is the essential part of the home designing. It's a procedure that combines your personal taste with your thinking about practicality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here