Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Trying to remove linoleum from hardwood

Posted by Miss_Cynthia (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 9:27

I have a similar problem. I just bought a house that was built in the sixties and I decide to update the kitchen a little. Needless to say I ended up deciding to gut it. Well it was going pretty well until I got to the floor and realized that on top of the pretty hardwood (that lays throughout the entire house) they have put linoleum then some type of press board (which has about 4,000 SCREWS in it) and then another layer of linoleum. I was wanting to put tile in there but I don't want a step up into the kitchen from my living room. I had thought about trying to keep the hardwood but since there are going to be a ton of screw holes I don't even know if it will be worth saving. Any ideas on how to get all of this up? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Trying to remove linoleum from hardwood

A 3-foot or 4-foot prybay may give you added leverage for lifting the subfloor/underlayment panels. A 6-pound mini-sledge can be used to force the prybar end/blade under the pannels. Making relief cuts every 6-inches to a foot with a circular saw can also help by relieving some of the pressure and separate panels into smaller sections easier.

o
note

Make sure your blade depth isnt to deep ... just the thickness (or slightly less) of the layers you want to remove. Also, use adequate safety equipment (hand, eye, knee, and ear protection, etc) and follow tool manufacturers instructions and safety guidelines.

o
RE: Help! Trying to remove linoleum from hardwood

I'd take it down to the original subfloor then the tile will be even with the wood floors. I feel it's best to not compound problems.
Every floor guy down the road will thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here