Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalfromwis

mixing new prefinished floors with old?

Crystal Miller
10 years ago

I live in a home built in 2001, the builder loved oak - and the entire home has high quality golden oak 5" trim, solid doors, cabinets, railings, etc. I am ready to install hardwood in my living room, and my plan is to purchase darker flooring than the trim. I believe that staying with oak is a good idea, and am comfortable with the floors being darker (thinking similar to Minwax's Early American color). (I just have to get away from so much golden stained oak!) I have chosen a 4" wide plank hand scraped oak from Lumber Liquidators for my living room. My question is: the entry, hallway and powder room are already done in a smooth 2" oak floor (finished in the home, golden oak stain). This floor will meet the living room at the 7' opening. My plan is to install the new floor, then at a later time, have the old floor stripped and stained a color to closely match the new 4" hand scraped. I want it to "flow" and I know that it won't "match", I'm okay that it will clearly be different, I just want the looks to "coordinate" with each other, look planned, and of course be tasteful. I think I'm on the right track, but I welcome your input.