Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdentoni

Do you have children and travertine flooring?

bdentoni
15 years ago

Well, I just put travertine in my kitchen floor, connecting entry way floor, bathroom floor, and lastly tumbled travertine as a backsplash. I'm not sure I did enough research before installation. I'm VERY concerned I've made a mistake. I think travertine is beautiful. We wanted something that looked natural, but was durable and didn't require lots of maintenance. I've sealed the floors with an impregnating sealant. I've tested the tiles with oils, catsup, mustard, vinegar, and peanut butter and everything seems to wipe up well. I might be making myself crazy!

Anyway, I have 3 young children and we love to cook and actually use the kitchen - the usual stuff - cookies, pancakes, breads, pizza, etc. Lots of hands on stuff. Plus, your not going to believe this, but the like to EAT and they are messy (they do eat at the table, but stuff drops on the floor). They also use the kitchen as a play arean. Does anyone have any advice? What can I do? Cover all travertine surfaces that the kids might mess up? Rip it all out and start over? Forget about it? Can I periodically get the stone cleaned if we get it messy?

I'd love to hear how your travertine is doing, especially if you have children.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022