Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsan_gw

Hickory Trickery Schlock

debsan
15 years ago

Here is a sample of the floor that I chose after weeks of looking.

Here is what I actually got.

{{gwi:1563468}}

Now compare the two side by side.

{{gwi:1563470}}

The "customer service" rep keeps reminding me that I should realize that no two trees are alike, as if I'm some kind of moron who should accept that as a reasonable explanation.

Can't afford to be wrong on flooring. Too much money. Very, very discouraging to spend a small fortune & get something so different than what was expected.

Comments (8)

• aussiewoodman
    15 years ago

The true 'root' of the problem here is that most mass produced flooring manufacturers have a separate department that make the sample boards. These people usually are not trained or if so, do not care what they are including in on a sample. Hickory is a tricky wood alright, however, it must be sampled with at least one dark board in the presentation or this is the result-- shocking huh? You might as well get to like it-- as it will 'grow' on you! It is a beautiful speciman of a wood floor. What you are going to find is that this Hickory, although uneven in colors is going to blend with any peice of furniture you put on it, any rug you lay on it and will not go out of style for a long long time to come--much longer than you will be in this house for one reason or another! And the customer service rep is correct-- that no two trees are alike--this is the beauty of wood flooring and albeit, this is an extraordinary example, beware of such variation in all natural products....

• jerry_t
    15 years ago

Debsan, I love the look of Hickory. That said, what can make it unappealing at times is not mixing the wood correctly ,and, using too many shorties out in the field. Butt joint spacing is equally important. It takes a keen eye and lots more time to get a real good mix. On a wide plank wood like that I try not use any shorties at all out in field....... zero.

Some brands don't offer an installer a whole lot to work with on lengths. Industry standards would be an average length of 42" per carton. Manufactures who are not members of NOFMA can pack up whatever they want..... usually an average length of 24" or so with way too many short pieces to deal with. The wider the boards are along with wide color variations the more you need longer lengths.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jerry & Ozman,
    Thank you for your input. You are both obviously much more acquainted with Hickory than the person who sold it to me. (Had he any experience with hickory, he probably would have known to warn me--eh?)
    As far as the shorties, my flooring is random length, and the definition of random has never been broader. So, what constitutes a shorty to you and what do you do with the rejects??? Also can you tell me your strategy for mixing the various planks . . any advice will be appreciated.

• jerry_t
    15 years ago

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that one should not expect to get what a sample board shows. I am totally dependent on using sample boards but I also know to make people aware that buying one carton beforehand is a wise move.

Shorties.... it would depend on the board width. On 2 1/4 strip I would set aside most 9-12" boards. On a wide plank I would filter out most up to 18".

I freely admit I am anal and an oddball..... when I start any job I will take Polaroids of each room with the furniture in place. I set the pictures in a window sill so I know pretty much where i can hide stuff...... you always have to hide stuff :) Closets are a good place too.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Debsan - Hickory does normally have a lot of natural color variation, so the wood you got is pretty representative of most hickory I've seen. What's not representative is the sample board. But that said, I think you have legitimate cause for complaint. If you based your purchase decision on the sample board, the product appears to have been misrepresented to you.

Do you want to return the wood? And if so, have you asked the retailer to take it back? And if so, what have they said? Definitely show them your photos, which speak more clearly than words can.

Also, I see nothing wrong with posting the name of the seller provided the information you include is factual. Frankly, I think it's helpful so others either know that the seller made good or that they refused.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sweeby, You are right on all counts. I wish someone would have warned me not to expect consistency in color. I did complain, and in that process, I made the decision not to post the name of the manufacturer or distributor until I'd given them a chance to make good. Incidentally, the goofball "customer service" rep works for the store. He is not affiliated with the flooring manufacturer or distributor. I will definately give a full report as soon as the situation is resolved.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Deb, I would be heartsick, too. I can't believe it was anything other than misrepresentation. Yes, hickory is extremely variable -- but, having been shown the sample, one would be entitled to expect the flooring to look like that. I hope you can get this resolved.

Arlene

• foolyap
    15 years ago

Hickory is a species with a fairly dramatic color difference between the dark heartwood at the center of the tree, and the very blond sapwood on the outer layer. Sounds like you fell in love with the light-colored sapwood.

Black cherry is another species with such a dramatic color difference, and ironically the heartwood is what's considered desirable. Cherry lumber and flooring is generally selected to avoid the sapwood, or at least put it on a face that's not visible. Black walnut, ditto,

My guess is that hickory is cheaper enough than cherry or walnut not to merit such careful selection. Or, it's viewed as a more "rustic" wood and so the color variation is deemed part of the "rustic charm".

What was it that attracted you to hickory flooring, aside from the light color? Other domestic species could also give you a light color like that, but the grain patterns can be fairly different.

Maple could be finished to a similar color as the hickory sample you showed, but the grain is tighter so it won't look quite the same. Would probably cost a little more than the hickory did.

Ash would look a bit more like your preferred sample when finished. Might work for you. Also a very hard wood, and probably in the same price range as the hickory was.

Elm would be my choice for you as a substitute. Could be finished with a similar color, with a grain looking a bit more like hickory than ash or maple. Only downside is that you might have to look a little harder to find it.

--Steve