Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Sanded Grout for Rialto Beige Tiles

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

I bought three grouts home so when the tile guy comes back (he could not do anything with the two heavy magazine racks attached by bolts to my 5-drawer 42" wide filing cabinet that hung over the front foyer floor he needed to tile) in a few days, he will have grout and all the tiles I bought home (lots of extra since Lowe's said I could return and I wanted all of the same lot). He told me he would prefer I buy the supplies. I hope he supplies the glue since I have no idea what to buy but if anyone knows, I can drive to Lowe's to get that also. It seems I need about 61 tiles but I have here 84 since he told me to get a lot extra in case I want a diagonal design and I had a coupon from Lowe's so had to reach a certain total amount.

I am going with the Rialto Beige Tiles in the 12 X 12 size for my two small foyer areas. This is a Porcelain Tile with a 5 rating.

I have here three sanded Laticrete Grouts (Lowe's said I can return the ones I do not open and use): Mushroom, Marble Beige, and Parchment.

Mushroom is the lightest and is in between the lightest and darkest color in the tile but closer to the darkest brown/beige color and since I like lighter grout, I like the Mushroom color.

Marble Beige is a very close match but has a hint of gray in it and I want to emphasize the beige and brown in the tile and not the gray faint lines in the tile.

Parchment is darker than the darkest brownish color but the sales guy at Lowe's said that he would use Parchment since it dries lighter and is the same shade as the darkest color in the tile.

Any advice? Should I have the tile guy seal the grout?

Thanks in advance for whoever has some time to help me since I never had tile installed before.

Comments (28)

• jerry_t
    15 years ago

Either Mushroom or marble beige would look fine. Rialto is a very good tile. Most of my clients choose mushroom for Rialto White and Marble Beige for Rialto Beige .... but always go with what "you" prefer.

As an aside using SpectraLOCK grout makes maintenance a breeze for lighter colored grouts. But, if your installer is not experienced using an epoxy grout do not let him experiment on this job..... Rialto tile has crevices that makes applying a non-staining epoxy grout somewhat more difficult to clean off when grouting.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jerry_t, Thanks for your opinion on the two color choices in the grout you would choose. I am leaning toward the Mushroom since the color is not grayish and goes with the tile and is not too light or too dark.

I was thinking of the SpectraLOCK but when my installer said he had no problems cleaning the sanded grout out of he sample Rialto Beige Tile I gave him despite the pits, I was wondering if it would be better to just seal the grout than have a problem with grout getting stuck in the pits. I will discuss this with the installer and ask for his opinion. Of course I would prefer the grout that will not stain as easily and makes maintenance a breeze but only if the grout will not be stuck in the pits since I like the open tiny pits to not have grout in them.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found pics of Buff Grout & Parchment Grout with Rialto Beige Tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Buff Grout & Parchment Grout with Rialto Beige Tiles

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found Mapie Bone & Mapie Irish Creme Sanded Grout with Rialto Beige Tile Pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mapie Bone & Mapie Irish Creme Sanded Grout with Rialto Beige Tile Pics

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

weedyacres, I love your Foyer picture with the design having both Rialto Beige and Rialto Noche tiles, along with the Mosaic tiles that look great with the Mushroom grout that ties all the tiles together so the grout does not clash with any of the tiles and makes them all go together well. It looks like the mushroom must dry lighter than the pic of the mushroom grout that is on the grout color chart. Am I correct? Thank you for sharing.

I am happy with my choice of tile being that it is a 5 rating and everything I put on it including mud, ketchup and French Dressing that I allowed to dry, easily came off of the tile and out of the pits. Even permanent marker came off the tile with a plastic type of sponge except it was difficult to get out of a few of the tinier pits but eventually came out. I also like that the tile is not slippery and is very neutral so will go with any hardwood or laminate floor I choose.

If I knew I would be in my home for the next 20 years, I would tile all of my downstairs but those in my neighborhood are doing engineered wood or laminate in the main areas so that is what I plan to do. But I love your tile floors in your family room. Any pics of the finished room? Is the tile not that hard to clean?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jerry, I just did some research on the Spectra Lock Pro Grouts that are an Epoxy grout and I think you are right that I want a tile guy to use this grout so I am going to go to Lowes and buy this grout most likely Sunday since I have to be up early for another seminar tomorrow and I know I will be tired since somehow I am still up but definitely getting ready for bed. I just hope the Epoxy grout can be taken out of the pits.

• jerry_t
    15 years ago

Just pointing out some issues and as always the poster, and or client, makes the final call.

Your installer needs to have a comfort level with the grout he/she is using, I would strongly recommend that the customer discuss all this first with the person doing the grouting. :)

From a maintenance perspective I think it is best to let the grout fill in crevices. After a few months/years go by the crevices are going to get filled in anyway with dirt, grime, cleaning solutions that dried down in them and left a soil mark, ect. I want something I don't have to deal with keeping clean all the time. To do that the grout needs to be very close in color to the tile color. This choice is always left for the end user to decide.

If your installer has not used SpectraLOCK before, this tile is not a real good candidate to experiment with. You may be better off using standard sanded grout and then apply a good penetrating grout sealer.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

That large floor is actually the kitchen (not family room), before we put in the cabinets. No problems at all cleaning it, and we've had it in about a year. Here's a view with some cabinets.

The color does match the swatch pretty well. But it certainly looks different with different colors and shades of tile, different depending on the light, and different depending on what shows up on your computer screen.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weedyacres, I love the two sizes of the Rialto Beige Tile in your kitchen. The tile goes so well in that room and the two sizes makes the design more interesting. You have a very nice sized kitchen as well as a very nice sized foyer that is beautiful. The grout looks like it is off-white on my monitor which goes so well with your kitchen cabinets and looks nice.

The grout color in person on my Latricrete color chart seems to be a color darker than the beige in the tile but not as dark as the darkest brown in the tile. On my monitor, the grout color is showing up a little whiter than your kitchen cabinets. Is the Mushroom grout you used the sanded Latricete grout?

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weedyacres, I visited your website and found that you used SpectraLok mushroom and not the plain sanded grout Mushroom from Latricete. We you able to get the grout out of the pits? Is it working at being stain proof? Would you recommend it over sanded grout that is maybe easier to use but must be sealed? I love the sample here and I love the pictures you sent to the list and on the website despite the sample looking like it dried lighter unless that is my monitor. I want my grout in my foyer area to blend with the tile and not be lighter than my tile.

The following I copied and pasted from your website. I love your house and how you are renovating it to make it yours and Randy's. Thanks for sharing.

Products:
    Tile: Rialto Beige and Rialto Noce (from Lowe's)
    Grout: Spectralok Mushroom

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so frustrated. The tile guy said he would be here between 5 to 6 PM and he is still not here and it is 7:47 PM. I wish I could pull up the old engineered floor myself and attempt the job myself to get it done already. I wish someone on this list lived in NJ near me and was a professional tile person to do the two foyers for me.

I am leaning towards Mushroom as my first choice and Parchment Grout as my second choice.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weedyacres please what width size did you use for your grout? It seems to be the perfect width size for your tile. You did truly an impressive professional job installing the Rialto Beige Tiles with the SpectraLock Grout.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

I used SpectraLok (epoxy) on my kitchen floor and regular sanded on my foyer. Just to toss in a little more confusion for you. :-) I don't know any reason the colors would be different in the end. The sanded is darker during application than the epoxy.

For grout colors, I generally try to pick a color that's in about the middle on the color range of the tile. To my eyes in person, photos notwithstanding, that's what mushroom is to rialto beige.

I nominally used 1/16" gap in my tiles. In reality, tiles have a small variation in size, so unless you get rectified tiles, your grout lines won't all be exactly the same. But they're a minimum of 1/16", with more when the tiles were smaller.

• hilltop_gw
    15 years ago

We used the rialto beige wall tile with marble beige grout. I was torn between marble beige and mushroom grout but they had caulk to match the marble beige so that was the deciding factor. Here are a few pictures. A little OT: The counter is tumbleweed corian. To some it might appear boring together, but I love it! I can accent with different colors. Glad I went with the 3" backsplash. Still need to paint or change out the outlets.
    {{gwi:1563396}}

{{gwi:1563397}}

{{gwi:1563398}}
    {{gwi:1563399}}

{{gwi:1563400}}

• hilltop_gw
    15 years ago

Sorry, thought I was in home decor forum (forgot I'd followed link from there). Hope the pics help with grout color though.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Weedyacres, thanks for letting me know that you used the sanded grout in the foyer and the SpectraLock in the kitchen and during application the sanded grout was darker. After both dried, were they both the same color?

Thanks for letting me know that in person, the Mushroom color is an in-between color in the tile like the color chart sample.

My tile guy was going to do a 3/8th grout seam but I will ask him if he can try to do a 2/8th inch seam since your 1/16th seam looks so nice.

Weedyacres, do you find that the foyer is more difficult to keep clean since you only used sanded grout? How soon after installation did you seal the grout in the foyer? Was the foyer easier to install the grout?

Hilltop, the Marble Beige Grout looks great on your wall with the Rialto Beige tiles in the kitchen and goes well with your pretty counter. I love how you mixed up the tiles with even smaller ones and put that colorful middle mosaic tile that adds a little bit of umph to the pretty backspash. I love the hens on your counter. I also like your kitchen cabinets and kitchen floor. What stain is on your kitchen cabinets and what wood species it is? What species is your floor and what stain since it looks great. One day I want a backsplash too in my kitchen since I feel it really adds so much to the kitchen and is easier to clean than painted walls.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hilltop, no problem since we all enjoyed seeing your kitchen counters and beautiful kitchen floors. The counter pictures were relevant to the flooring forum since I was asking about grout color and you your backsplash used the tiles I am using on my floor.

• hilltop_gw
    15 years ago

The flooring is Wilsonart laminate (American Oak) that's 12 years old. It was just coming on the market when we purchased it. It's got some issues (it was the type that was glued at the seams & then peaked a little), but it's held up well. Can just now begin to see wearing on some planks where the kitchen chairs rub on a seam. For our country home the laminate was the right choice.

The kitchen cabinets were a stock cabinet- Homecrest Signature Oak in light color-I don't think they even make them anymore. We just recently replaced the old laminate countertop with the corian & the tile backsplash.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hilltop, your Wilsonart Laminate Floor is prettier than many real wood floors from your picture and looks very nice. Looking at your backspash again and it really looks nice in your kitchen. Thanks again for sharing.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Lynn - Did the tile person ever show up? weedyacres' kitchen floor & foyer sure look nice. I also like hilltop's kitchen & backsplash.
    Lynn - I haven't been following word for word on your previous posts. Is there anyway that the person installing your tile floor can go with a 1/16" grout joint like weedyacres? Or maybe no more than 1/8"? I was just thinking about less joint area to get dirty. Ours is almost 5 months old and so hasn't stood the real test of time (plus we don't have dogs), but I am happy my husband used 1/16" grout joints. Our tiles are not rectified, so they took alot of patience to install them with that narrow of a joint. I believe he used unsanded grout.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurie, Thanks again for sharing your beautiful kitchen floor. I love those tiles for my own kitchen floor when I am ready to do my kitchen. The colors in the tile are so nice and neutral with variations. I love the thin grout line.

I spoke with the tile guy tonight and he apologized and told me he will be here tomorrow night (I'll let you know if he shows up... he was highly recommended by my client but I feel he is putting me last by not coming here in the day time to get started and done with the project.... sure wish I had a handy loving husband like you and Weedacres have) to start the project and we even talked about grout joints and he told me he is going to aim for 1/8th instead of the 3/8th if that would make me happy.

I also love both Weedyacres' kitchen and kitchen floor and Hilltop's kitchen and backsplash. Both grout colors looked so nice that I started to think I was worrying too much since both work so well with the tile.

What color grout did you use?

I have to look up on another post to find out the name of your tile as well as the size since I think that your tile may look nice in my kitchen. I know for my foyer areas, I am happy with the Rialto Beige choice that seemed to work in those areas and I needed the smaller 12 X 12 size since those two areas are small.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

My grout color is Keracolor U Ivory #39. Tiles are Pietra Series Bone 18" - from Lowes.
    I think the Rialto Beige is beautiful. If you are happy with the foyer areas, then you should consider using it in your kitchen, too.
    Keep us posted on your foyer tile project. I hope things progress for you tomorrow.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Laurie for letting me know the grout color and tile size and name. You did a very good job installing the tile and amazingly getting such a right grout line. I think I am going to aim for 1/8th and if it is not possible on my floors, the 2/8th. I think the Rialto Beige Tiles with their rounded edges that are not even to make the tile look rustic, that the 1/16th grout line may not be easy on my floors that maybe are not level. My townhouse is 18.5 years old so I have no idea how level the floors are until the engineered wood is removed. one plank was so easily removed by a client but I told him to stop until the installer arrived.

I am upset since the tile guy never called or stopped by today as promised. He better have a very very good excuse tomorrow or I will find someone else. I have other work in my home to do if they do a good job in my two foyers since my kitchen needs tile and my bathrooms need re-grouting. I would give the installer referrals if he or she did showed up and did a good job since I have a lot of clients who will be here in a few months and will be asking who installed my pretty tile. I also have a few neighbors who are waiting for me to finish to decide if they are to do tile in their foyer areas also.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

Harder to clean? Everything in our friggin house is hard to keep clean as we're in perpetual remodel. :-) Only 2 of us live here, with no kids, and we don't have a ton of traffic through our foyer so I'm not a very good one to give a comparison. But our kitchen tile grout is as good as new.

And I applied sealer in the foyer a few days after grouting.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Weedyacres for letting me know that the kitchen grout is as good as new and the foyer grout is nice also since you sealed it after a few days. The two areas I am tiling are not that big with the front foyer much smaller than the middle foyer so I feel I will have no problems cleaning the tiles and grout if I seal the grout or go with the Epoxy grout.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seeing these pics of Weedyacres tiled floors again, has me wanting to go to Lowe's to buy their Laticrete Mushroom SpectraLOCK Grout. This is what I wanted from the beginning but the former tile guy wanted me to buy everything at the local tile store while we were there. Thank you Weedyacres! You and Laurie both did a better than professional job. I wish my tile guy would do 1/16th joint widths but he says 1/8th is what he will do for me an I just now want my joint widths to be as even as can be so I will go with what he feels he can do a good job with. My tiles look so much like (slightly lighter with no gray veins but the coloring otherwise is very close)the lighter lot of Rialto Beige tiles so I know the Mushroom color will look nice. I still may use the Rialto Beige tiles in one of my bathrooms but if I do, I will know to buy enough tiles all of the same lot. But this is a future project after my busy season.

I love Laurie's tiles also but could not find them in my local Lowe's stores. I may look again for my kitchen after my busy season.

I hope the tile guy calls tomorrow so I can buy what he needs tomorrow night after my dentist appointment. I have too much work to do tomorrow so I must stay at my desk and focus.

Thank you!

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So happy that I found this older post using the Yahoo search since I could not find it using the GardenWeb search.

Does the grout that is not Epoxy dry lighter than the sample? My grout is Mushroom but I had to spend the day after the tiles were installed scrubbing with vinegar to get the white stuff off the tile since my installer did not clean up properly after grouting the tiles and the SpectraLock is staining so I do not want to go by that color.

My tiles used in the foyer were a similar color to the Rialto Beige Tiles (I used Akoya Bone) and the mushroom grout looks great but the tiles being used in the kitchen has some lighter beige and even an off-white in the tile along with the beige and some gray veins. My new tiles for the kitchen are rectified. I want the grout to blend with the tiles but keep the tiles more on the lighter side with a 1/16th grout width if possible. I am now trying to decide between Laticrete Mushroom grout or Laticrete Antique White Grout in the PermaColor new type of grout they have where it can be used for sanded or unsanded applications. I will have to seal the grout but at least I will not be cleaning the tiles and grout all the next day if an installer does not know how to use the SpectraLock.