Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate flooring advice

Posted by lorena-b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 1:00

I am not familiar with laminate floors having only wood floors in previous homes. I am trying to install a sturdy laminate floor in a small home.
Questions: 1) Does it matter if it is 12 mm, or 8 mm?
2)will the 12 mm be quieter?
3)I looked at Shaw Natural Selection II, Armstrong Illusions and a Lex Floor cottage collection laminate that is 12 mm.
They all have 20plus year warranties. I tried scratching all of them with metal and the Lex Floor shows slight scratches.
Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with any of these materials? The flooring will be installed throughout house, over wood subfloor, 1920's home, in kitchen also.
Thank you for any advice as to what to look for when selecting laminate flooring. I would like to avoid any problems if at all possible. I read many problems with Armstrong grand illusions. Are these problems consistent for Armstrong in general?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate flooring advice

At Costco, the Harmonics laminate is hard to beat on price and quality.

o

I have had shaw laminate flooring in my kitchen for the last couple of years. It is very easy to keep clean but it does show signs of wear and tear in the form of nicks and scratches. I also tried the scratch test on lots of samples before I bought the stuff, it seemed ok, but I have to say I am disappointed with this product. This does not mean this will happen with all shaw products, but I did not have a good experience. ( My tile had a stone look)

o

Plastic flooring in 1920 house is just flat out wrong. You can buy wood for the price of a good laminate and it's underlayment and it would be MUCH more appropriate. And something like actual linoleum would be appropriate for the kitchens and baths.

o

I also want to know about it and this page gives me very useful information about Laminate flooring. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here