Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christnrn_gw

Engineered hardwood install...am I just OCD??

christnrn
12 years ago

Today we had an Armstrong engineered hardwood floor (Valenza Cabreuva, santos mahogany) installed in a 200 sf room and one step. While we're THRILLED with the new floor, the stair nose is very noticeably "off" in color (much browner in tone)and the texture is different from the rest of the floor, to me at least. I questioned the manager of the store we bought the flooring from and he claims that this is normal and the color of the stair nose will darker to match the rest of the flooring in 3 weeks, end of discussion! I suspect they installed a generic santos mahogany stair nose but they won't confirm this.

The difference in color bothers me every time I look at the stair nose. This is our firts experience with new flooring and just wondering if I should pursue this further, and whether the wood will change to match the rest of the floor? There's not a single plank anywhere else that resembles the color of the stair plank...something just doesn't add up! :( Thanks in advance!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57483572@N00/6349043039/in/photostream

Comments (10)

• christnrn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trying to add the link again lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of stair

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

That would bother me too. Nothing OCD about it! I guess I'd give it the 3 weeks and see but that wouldn't change a texture difference. With my flooring, the instructions said to choose a section of the nosing or threshold board that was closest to the coloring of the floor boards it was going to be placed next to. A good point.

Hold them to fixing it if it doesn't mellow out to your satisfaction. You are not being picky.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

I am not a wood floor expert, but I don't see how a brownish piece of wood will change color to look reddish in 3 weeks.

I found the Armstrong catalog. It seems they only offer one color of stair nose. Call Armstrong and ask what they recommend in your situation.

One option is to strip the current nose and stain it to match the rest of the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong Catalog

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Looks like the wrong finish on the stair nose piece.

• glennsfc
    12 years ago

It will not darken. It does not match or blend with the planks. The stair is actually safer with the contrasting stair nose.

• christnrn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I called Armstrong and was told this particular flooring has been discontinued and they no longer have any in stock (so why do they still have it in their catalogs?) The Armstrong rep I spoke with could offer no suggestions on a match.

The store manager has reluctantly offered to replace the stair nose with a Brazilian cherry piece but wants to wait the 3 weeks first to see if the color changes to match the rest of the flooring. I'm highly doubtful but I'm willing to wait as long as they do replace it if it still doesn't match.

I hadn't thought of the safety issue Glennsfc, thanks, but we will be putting a runner down and I think that contrast will be adequate.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

If that stair nose is Santos Mahogany, then it will darken. I would wait three weeks.

• psu77
    12 years ago

I have the Armstrong Valenza Pangali Ironwood which looks very similar to your Santos Mahogany. It was also discontinued by Armstrong. None of your wood will get any darker in only 3 weeks but in about 6-12 months, the Santos will be much darker and the difference with the stair nose will be even greater. Wait the 3 weeks and get them to replace it.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"so why do they still have it in their catalogs?"

Catalogs or often printed only a few times a year, and may be out of date before the press run is even finished.

You might try calling dealers and see if they have any residual pieces.

• tectonicfloors
    12 years ago

It does not match or blend with the planks. The stair is actually safer with the contrasting stair nose.