Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Know of a good vinyl plank flooring?

lincann
9 years ago

I would love to put down a good 'wood looking' vinyl plank floor, but not sure what brand to trust. I really loved the look of HD's TrafficMaster Allure, but for every good review there are a thousand who are screaming mad saying the product scratches like crazy.

Thinking they were talking about real gouges and knowing I'm pretty easy on floors,I still decided to pick up a test piece today. Geeez oh peeeez this stuff is awful ! Just a brush across the surface with the back of my fingernails and it was marred for life. No amount of 'spit and polish' would remove the marks. How can they get away with this?

Anyone had any luck with other brands. Really want to stay with the vinyl as I can't stand the 'click, click, click' of wood laminent. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Get some of the stuff that's commercial rated. 4 mil or thicker, from a good maker like Mannington or MetoFlor. From a REAL flooring store.

• MMMayonaise
    9 years ago

I want to preserve my maple wood floor and put LVT over it. Can I use a glue down LVT with a pad underneath or is it best to find a click type LVT?

• User
    9 years ago

You're not going to preserve you floor by putting stuff on top of it. LVT doesn't use a pad underneath. Putting a moisture barrier on top of wood will trap moisture in that wod. Moisture is the enemy of wood. People used to do that with carpet and it turned out OK because the carpet breathed and let moisture move in and out of the wood.

• MMMayonaise
    9 years ago

Ok so all the retailers are telling me putting down the pad and gluing to the pad would be fine. They do tell me LVT does not use a pad but in my case it would be fine?

So what if I found a clip type? Would that preserve the floor with or without a pad?

• User
    9 years ago

Why would you want to put vinyl on top of it anyway? Remove the wood and put the vinyl down if you want vinyl, or live with the wood if you like the wood. You're not going to have your cake and eat it too. Listening to the wack advce you've gotten abou putting a pad under the vinyl will ruin the wood and the vinyl.

• indahowz
    8 years ago

Hi MM

I am in a similar situation as you. I have 3dogs that have totally trashed areas of my hardwood-- scratching, and wet paws. No matter how I try to keep up with their nails, they still scratch my floors , and I am constantly wiping wet muddy paws in spring and fall. I can no longer stand to look at them.(the floors :) So this is why I am considering putting vinyl over my once beautiful hardwood floors I do not want to rip them up, because once the dogs are gone, I want to refinish them, they are in good enough shape for that. I am currently looking at coretec plus at a local flooring store and a shaw product I found at Menards. Can't decide what to do or what color. or even if I should tile everything!

• glennsfc
    8 years ago

There are three quality segments within the Home Depot/Shaw line of LVT. You get what you pay for. The samples of Allure Ultra Plus has a substantial wear surface that I found very difficult to mar or dent.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH