Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevadaskier

Chelsea Plank Flooring

nevadaskier
13 years ago

We just installed our hickory floor this weekend. I am thrilled with the quality of Chelsea Plank Flooring. We only had two boards out of 1000 square feet that were milled too narrow. It is beautiful flooring. We did the 3,4 and 5 inch hickory.

Comments (40)

• nevadaskier
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought it because it is logged by American loggers and milled in an American mill. I am a forester in California and all of my Doug fir in the new house was from Canada, I swore that wouldnt happen with my floor. But the bottom line is Chelsea plank flooring quality far exceeded any reasonable expectation for quality.

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

I have the same hardwood floor in most of my house. I absolutely love it and so happy I chose it.

• mjjones453
    13 years ago

I also have the Chelsea hardwood Hickory in 3,4 and 5" widths. I have had it for 3 years now, and absolutely love it. My color is the Montana Cabin Hickory! Easy to care for also, Love the finish.

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

Great products. Highly recommend always.

• burghmom
    12 years ago

Can any of you post some pics of the final product? I am strongly considering the Chelsea Plank hickory and I too love the Montana Cabin finish...I'd just love to see some actual photos of the finished product! It is so hard to judge from a little sample! Thanks!

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

Wow -- just came back from the flooring showroom where I was introduced to Chelsea Plank. So glad to find this thread. Has anyone used the CPF Ash flooring?

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

Bumping up to see if anyone can share information about or experiences with the Chelsea Plank Flooring in the Ash species.

Thanks!

• goodguy2k2k
    10 years ago

Chelsea plank ash is very nice - I HIGHLY recommend. I am in the process of evaluating many brands of floor and Chelsea has come out in top. I am getting ash as it is more affordable, has a bold grain pattern and is as (or more durable) than oak.

I'm going for Antique ash in the restoration series planks. Better than fake handscraped and worry free IMO.

• UniqueWoodFloor
    10 years ago

I love their restoration series planks. But Chelsea does have bigger than average bevels if you noticed. To me it is fine on distress floors, but not quite on smooth finished floors.

• carla1991
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I've been searching for a good prefinished solid hardwood flooring company. I did purchase 500 square ft from another company which came to my house with slot a extreme damage marks in the oak. Rep from flooring company came out he said not acceptable and offered me mercier and chelsea plank flooring. Mercier he offered me was not the grade I wanted so that was a no and Chelsea plank flooring was ash. Really was confused then. Now two and a half weeks later still up in the are. He did bring me sample of both I liked the chelsea. Talked to the company direct a few times and they were very informative. Now I read it is a 3 4 5 pattern. Wanted to know if you know if it can be purchased in 4 inch width only. Really do not know if the rep knows.
    I'd appreciate any help. And also bought the small area rug for the damaged company goods but chelsea said any rubber backing attached to the rug would be fine. Read so much on the net about marks and pad backs sticking that it is so confusing. The cost is high for the floor and I do not need more issues. Ash is harder than red oak and not has hard as white oak not much of a difference. This house gets slot of action especially with the grandchildren..
    Chelsea does have an 8 layers of finish on them, a small family owned business with 3 not family. I'd rather deal with them.
    Stay away from lowes and home depot heard the sell seconds. My install man said Bruce has changed since they merged with Armstrong meaning not for the better. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Carla

• UniqueWoodFloor
    10 years ago

Here is a Chelsea Plank Chateau Cherry in random width to share with everyone. Hope you like it as our customer did.

• tgblincoln
    8 years ago

Seriously thinking about installing Chelsea plank hickory in 3,4 5 width in North bay color. Does anyone have a picture of the same floor installed in a home?

Much appreciated.

Phil

• Michael John
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We installed the Chelsea Flooring NickelBack Saloon Hickory in the 3-4-6 inch configuration. We Love it! We actually installed it in a home we were renovating so that we could move into it from a much larger home. The flooring looks absolutely amazing and we have had many compliments on it. We ended up not moving into the home and the new owners also think it is amazing. We are so impressed by it that we are having it installed in the house we decided to stay in. Can't wait!

• mabele63
    7 years ago

We installed the Chelsea North Bay Hickory 3-4-6 about 3 years ago. We picked it for the color and it was half way up the Janka Rating scale for hardness, harder rating that the Red Oak and White Oak many of us grew up with. I am SOOO disgusted with the performance of this Flooring. This has been a $10,000 total waste of money. It scratches, Dings and dents as the smallest provocation. We have covered as much with rugs as possible but any area not covered is dinged, dented and scratched. It is beautiful for sure, but every day I get a pit in my stomach, each day finding a new scratch ding or dent. This is a home with 2 middle-aged adults and NO pets. We tip-toe around to be as gentle as Possible, but to no avail! This was our final remodel before going into Retirement. We don't have the funds for a Do-over, I'm broken hearted!

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    7 years ago

What's the gloss level mabele? I can't imagine someone being dissatisfied with a solid Hickory. Unless you set your expectations too high. Hardness is promoted too heavily. It should be more about what type of hardwood can better conceal the inevitable dings and dents.

Ken Fisher

• iristi
    7 years ago

Hi,
    I was recommended to go with Chelsea Plank Flooring as well. Glad to read all the positive reviews! Have my eyes set on Honey color (Northern White Ash), but was not able to find the pictures of finished rooms anywhere. Can anybody point me to one? Also, I am concerned about the wood being too grainy. My house is contemporary and too much grain may not be perfect. Any thoughts?
    Thank you very much!

• designsaavy
    7 years ago

We installed Chelsea Plank Ash floors in a random 3", 4" 5" pattern last year. Our home is not contemporary so we chose them with natural knot holes here and there .

If you search some pictures of contemporary homes with hardwood flooring, you'll see that there are many types of hardwood that are used, as well as those with grain . Sometimes mixing up styles looks much better and less....predictable .

I'm so glad we with the 3, 4, 5 laid randomly .

• Huzkit
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Design savvy, we have the exact same Chelsea plank ash floor in 3,4,5 couple years now.. LOVE IT. Has held up excellently so glad we listened to the Chelsea plank folks and stayed away from the trendy hand scraped look. Love the darker grain and even though we get the occasional scratch, really don't worry about it as it just adds character to this floor.

• designsaavy
    7 years ago

I guess I don't get the appeal of handscraped "wavy" looking floors. I love our floors as well. Surprisingly, for being a darker floor, I rarely ever see dust.

I REALLY wanted their walnut, but it wasn't in the budget. This was the next best thing and it is holding up well.

Glad you're enjoying yours!

• Greg Gladbach
    7 years ago

What color is your chelsea ash plank flooring? Your flooring looks beautiful and we are looking to put it into our new home and love the color of your floors.

• Huzkit
    7 years ago

If you are asking me, ours is called Antique Ash

• designsaavy
    7 years ago

Mine is the Buffalo Ridge Ash laid in a random 3,4,5 pattern with natural knots. I pulled the ones that had too large of knots or holes so they wouldn't use those, except under the cabinets where they wouldn't show.

I think this is probably a better indication of the color. It definitely is not orange or red. It's a warm brown.

Although it's on the dark side, I don't have a problem with it showing dust.

• audreypopson
    6 years ago

Thank you for posting photos. I am in the process of deciding on flooring from this company. I want a dark brown. These photos helped in my decision making. Thank you.

• designsaavy
    6 years ago

The guy who installed recommended lying it in an actual random pattern instead of:

3-4-5, 3-4-5, 3-4-5, etc.

I'm glad I took his advice because I think it would jump out at me otherwise.

• Tammy
    6 years ago

I'm thinking about purchasing Chelsea Plank Flooring - Boulder Valley hickory, can anyone that has this tell me how you clean it? The site says no water, I clean my current floors with a damp microfiber mop (sometimes with just water, sometime a vinegar water mix).

• bethm38
    6 years ago

does anyone have any pictures of chelsea plank big horn installed? I live in a transitional house and was hoping for some pictures. thank you.

• rice2370
    6 years ago

Don’t do it!!! We spent $8000 and it started cracking a week after it was installed!!! Not sure if it was dried properly or what but their customer service said wow and replaced a whole 5 boards out of over 40 that cracked!!!! We didn’t want them all replaced obviously as they have to be cut and glued but they should of done way more!!! Not to mention the knots falling out as well!!

• rice2370
    6 years ago

Don’t do it!!! We spent $8000 and it started cracking a week after it was installed!!! Not sure if it was dried properly or what but their customer service said wow and replaced a whole 5 boards out of over 40 that cracked!!!! We didn’t want them all replaced obviously as they have to be cut and glued but they should of done way more!!! Not to mention the knots falling out as well!!

• Michael John
    6 years ago

I had it installed in 2 houses and my son installed it in his and we have not had a single problem.

• audreypopson
    5 years ago
    Jenny we purchased 1400 sq ft of Chelsea Sawtooth Mountain plank in 3,4,5 widths for $8.00 a sq foot. Absolutely love this flooring.
  • audreypopson
    5 years ago
    We used it throughout our home.
  • Theresa Ritter
    4 years ago

This is gorgeous! Do you have it in your kitchen? What color are the cabinets?

• audreypopson
    4 years ago
    Theresa thank you. Yes in the kitchen and white shaker cabinets.
    Only place we don’t have it is in the laundry room and bathrooms.
  • Judith Botimer
    4 years ago

I loved the look of the floor, but the finish cracked in several places. It also feels warped and has felt that way since it was installed. I showed the installed a few of the cracks the 2nd day he was installing and all he did was put some waxy putty on them. Also, the floor was delivered on a Friday and he started the install on Monday. The flooring didn't have time to acclimate to our home. We were told that process takes two weeks. After $8,000 and issues with the wood I'm not loving my new floor so much. I have Honey Ash and it dents easily and the finish looks blotchy and scratches easily. I guess I will have to put rugs down all over the place to protect it. I was also told the snap-crackle-pop would resolve itself, but a year down the line it still making those sounds as we walk on it. I had wood flooring in that area that was 80 year old and solid as a rock now I wish I would had refinished it. I don't want to say all of Chelsea flooring is bad, but it's not been good for me. After driving over 200 miles directly to the factory and talking to a manager I felt they won't stand behind their product. Anything that goes wrong with the flooring is the buyers fault. I was going to put more solid wood flooring in other areas of my home, but now I think I will play it safe and use ceramic or engineered wood flooring.

• audreypopson
    4 years ago

Wow. I hope you get some resolution from the company. Ours did acclimate for several weeks before install. It’s been a year and a half and no issues.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    4 years ago

A perfect floor can be ruined if its not acclimated and installed correctly. It wont be the manufacturers fault in that situation. Furthermore - If a floor is dried out during the dry winter months it can also be damaged. Wood flooring can last for generations but it needs to be installed and maintained correctly.

• Linda Kincaid
    4 years ago

if you go to facebook https://www.facebook.com/Cornerstone-Construction-Services-115879078512742/ this builder uses a lot of flooring if not all from Chelsea plank flooring. His homes he has built are beautiful

• Linda Kincaid
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I had Bighorn installed on the whole first level of my house paid just over 5/sq foot. Up to 6.something now. I go though a wholesaler. I just order three more boxes to finish my landing upstairs. we love our floors. We've had the finish scratch. we are careful and they buff out quite easily. There was little waste with this product. we only had one problem area, not problem of the wood, but the installer did not glue in the spines so there is a tiny bit of lift along that area. I can tell, but the average person could not. Not sure how to correct that problem if anyone has an idea let me know.

• mrmotorcitymopar
    2 years ago

You can’t go wrong with chelsea plank flooring. I’ve installed a few thousand square feet myself. It’s 15 years old now and looks beautiful. I know many contractors here in Michigan that do and swear by it. Installation is quick as you are not fighting the usual issues