Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lov_mkitchen

A new wood floor in 1880 house

I'm sort of thinking I might rip up the carpet in two rooms of an 1880 house and put in wood. This is a farm house, not fancy in any way. There is nothing special about it, strictly a roof over my head. I think I remember correctly that the floor the carpet was laid on was probably wide pine boards painted milk chocolate brown. Since I live in the winter belt, I think I would need radiant heat under any floor that didn't have carpet and pad. I would probably get an area rug at some point but it won't be as warm as wall to wall. Thinking of what I might do, what wood should I be thinking about? Would 1x6 pine boards be appropriate? I wouldn't paint them this time around but I would lay them over the existing. Will it look odd to have them run the opposite direction from the original. I think it would but I didn't want to take up the old floor. Maybe 1x4 would be better? Or should I take up the old boards and run them through a thickness plainer to either use the back side or take a bit off the front side? I suspect stripping would not take the paint off. I might end up with goo. And if I did that, I'd need a different method of installing radiant heat. And this is why I'm still thinking instead of doing!

Comments (2)