Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under the carpet--what is it?

Posted by littlegreenhaus (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 22:37

Hi anyone/everyone!

We have a 100-year-old house that currently has carpet, which we plan on replacing with hardwoods. We've pulled up the carpet in several corners to see what we're workin' with as we'd love to refinish. In the living room, it appears there's some beat-up dark hardwoods (not sure if salvageable, but that'd be nice!). The front bedroom has this shiny, smooth, flat, black material under the padding. Is this tar? Subflooring? Rosin paper? Weird vinyl flooring? The yellow edge seemed like the same height/texture/etc. That leveling goop? Google has left us more confused, and we truly don't know what we're looking for. Obviously we plan to eventually call a professional for an assessment and quote, but in the meantime--SO CURIOUS. Any help or ideas are appreciated! :)

This post was edited by littlegreenhaus on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 22:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under the carpet--what is it?

My best guess? If this is not in tile format (squares) then it might be genuine linoleum. If tile format, then likely it is asphalt tile with yellow feature strip.

o

Yeah, looks like some sort of vinyl/linoleum. If you want hardwood, you'll need to pry it all up and scrape/steam/chemically remove the adhesive. Link below shows some of the fun you may be in for if you proceed.....

Here is a link that might be useful: cleaning old vinyl/linoleum off hardwoods

o

Thanks, guys! That certainly looks like some fun indeed... slow, painstaking fun.

o

If I could pull my carpet back and find that, the carpet would be out of here and that linoleum shined up! You have it and don't want it; I don't have it and wish I did. Some things in life just aren't fair.
Before I went to the work of taking it up I would lay new subfloor over it being as careful as possible. Maybe someone in the future would love to find it waiting for them.

o

Make sure it doesn't have asbestos in it before you start doing whatever!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here