Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finish nailer to install hardwood?

Posted by tombob (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 22:15

I have a small, 32 sq. ft half bathroom in which I am planning on installing hardwood flooring. In that limited space, swinging a mallet and maneuvering an air flooring hammer seems like it might be a chore without smudging and banging up the walls.

My question: can I use my Bostitch finish nailer to put down the floor with 18 gauge 2" stick nails? face nailing the first and last rows and then blind nailing the rest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finish nailer to install hardwood?

Any port in a storm...it'd work, in my opinion.

o

Nail it on the tongue of wood using finish nailer. It works perfect.

o

Anyone using a floor nailer ends up using a finish nailer for the first and last few rows. I used nothing but the finish nailer for a small bathroom.

I place the end of the finish nailer on the subfloor or rest it on the tongue, tip it 30-45 degrees and aim the nailing end towards the angle between tongue and top of board.

Set the drive to set the nails lower than usual, because you won't be in contact with the wood. I only had to use the nail set on one or two nails.

o

What kabir and lazy said. Easy peasy.

o

Are you doing 3/4" ? I dont know about the other guys' on here opinion on this but would a 16gauge nail be better than an 18 For 3/4"?

o

I would agree with gregmills as 18 gu may be a little on the light side for 3/4" thick hardwood.

o

I used .... 2" 16-gauge finishing nails about 6 inches apart.

For extra security you could also blind nail the short tongue as you lay each row, but that's probably overkill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here