Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

1/2 x1.5' red oak - anyone know a supplier?

scoutfinch72
15 years ago

We have a 1955 home with the original red oak floors. Our living room used to be 2 rooms, but they remodeled in 1985 and took down the wall between the living room and the kitchen to make one large living room and then added on a separate kitchen. When they did that they just carpeted over the existing hardwood and the kitchen tile. We have to pull out the gross 20 year old carpet no matter what, but we really want to refinish the hardwood. We have a quote from a really good flooring guy to install new wood in the 185sf section that is missing and to sand and refinish all of it to match. Unfortunately he was unable to locate a supplier for 1.5" wide red oak flooring.

Our alternatives are

1. To rip out the existing and start over with new hardwood. This makes me sad since the floor has character and it seems so wasteful and is too pricey for us at any rate.

2. Salvage the hardwood out of a bedroom that we are turning into a master bath and closet and have him install it in the LR. We would have to do the removal and this would be tedious. DH wants to do this.

3. Just install 2" red oak in the missing section and ignore the difference in the width. I've been leaning here.

Does anyone have any guidance for me on this one? Also, if anyone knows of a supplier for unfinished 1/2" x 1.5" red oak, I'd be unbelievably grateful!

Comments (9)

• glennsfc
    15 years ago

Go to the link and get the contact information for Lebanon Oak Flooring and ask them for a list of distributors in your area. Have it shipped to you if that's what you have to do. Don't mix widths in your case...it will not look good at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lebanon Oak Flooring

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you glenn!!! Lebanon Oak doesn't have a distributor in UT, but I found one in CA that will have it drop shipped to me. Does 2.89 per sf sound like a decent price?

I knew that the hardwood guy we got the quote from had to be wrong that it wasn't made anymore. I have another flooring guy coming to give us a bid on monday and he actually did the legwork and found the source on his own so we'll see how his price comes in.

Again, thank you glenn!!

• glennsfc
    15 years ago

You are welcome...glad I could help.

$2.89 per square foot is a fair price for the product.

When it comes to finishing the material, gather that information beforehand, so you know what you will be buying on that end. Just keep in mind that cheap finishing is most often than not... just that. Check references and ask to see examples of his or her work.

Best of luck.

• scoutfinch72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to give an update now that we've been in the house for a while. We went ahead and purchased the 1.5" unfinished red oak from a company in FL for an even better price and had it drop shipped to us. We ripped out the lineoleum ourselves and had our installer install, sand and refinish everything to match. You can barely tell where the new floor starts and the old floor ends! We're really happy with it. It's actually a little lighter than the pictures portray. The only downside is that because the house is so old, the floors are pretty creaky!

Before:

And after:

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Your floor looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing those pictures!

• lafamiliasmith
    15 years ago

Can you share where you got your wood from? I am doing a similar project and am looking for some flooring. Your floor looks great!! Email me if you'd like: lafamiliasmith@hotmail.com

Thank you!

• hwrights
    13 years ago

I am looking for the same flooring. Have you found anyone else besides Lebanon to get this size of flooring from? I got 1 quote from a private wood worker for $6.50/sq. ft. just to make the flooring

• Carolyn
    8 years ago

I need the same exact thing in Ventura, CA! Can you give me your supplier info?? borchardfamily@aol.com Carolyn :)