Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollow sound when tapping tile

Posted by deepblue_4 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 21:39

We are in the middle of having 20" x 20" ceramic tile installed. Half of our 800 sqf is installed and has not been grouted yet. Installer had to take 2 days off for another commitment.

We are installing on terrazzo which has been acid washed to remove wax build up. We are using VersaBond, as it is recommended for terrazzo.

Anyway, when tapping on tiles I can hear hollow sounds in certain areas. Is this OK? Or, should installer remove those tiles and replace? He'll be back on Monday and I want to discuss with him.

Thanks for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollow sound when tapping tile

Restore the Terrazzo. Actually some people are doing this. I know it's blast past, however it does make a good tile base. The 'hollow' sound that you hear is due to improper adhesion or bedding of the tile in the thin set morter. This can be due to an uneven floor surface (settling) as I assume this is slab construction, or an inadequate amount of morter. Some installers simply 'slap' tiles in place, but what you really need to do is twist each tile back and forth slightly so that it is properly bedded in the morter. This will insure proper adhesion and eliminate that 'dinner plate' sound you hear when tapping.

o

Thank you, Bushleague, for your reply. I am going to have our installer remove the tiles and replace them.

DeepBlue

o

This is caused by
1. uneven slab
2. inadequate morter
3. low-grade tile

If this turns out to be low-grade tile, the installer may charge you more per square foot to install because of the extra time he's going to spend.

o

The bigger the tiles, the more floor prep before the tile get set.

Ceramic must achieve 80% coverage. Stone is 100% coverage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here