Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak floor stain colors

Posted by rvernick (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 21:32

I am so confused!! We are building a house and i can't pick a stain for the hardwood floor. I am very drawn to English Chestnut, but it is so hard to pic from such a small sample piece. We have gotten a piece of wood from the builder and tried the minwax stain, but it is still so difficult. We have very dark brown cabinets. Does anyone have any pics of a stain that they have used and LOVED!?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak floor stain colors

We always try to get a general idea as to the direction you are leaning toward then before the final sanding we put large enough samples on your floor for you to confidently choose.

It is a safer bet to error toward the light side.

o

We are in the same boat you were in back in October. We are building a house and I have to pick a stain color by this Monday or Tuesday. We have white oak floors. The hardwood company we're using uses Dura Seal and Minwax colors. I really like the English Chestnut. We want a dark brown with no red undertones. What did you end up picking? Would you mind posting some pictures. I would really appreciate it!
Thanks! Jill

o

Jill and Matt, We just went through this process and agonized over the stain choice -- the colors look a lot different on the floor then they do on the sample swatches. We have red oak and added some new flooring -- we knew we wanted to go darker -- but not too dark. We stripped all of the existing flooring and used Minwax English Chestnut -- we liked the warmth. I have to say I wish we went with Provincial or Dark Walnut -- EC does have quite a bit of red in the natural sun light especially on red oak. I also wish we tried the water popping process -- the grain is particularly heavy on the red oak.

The floor guys will sand an area and do some samples of various stains for you, but it's touch to imagine how the entire floor will look -- and how the light will affect it. I am happy I went darker, rather than the natural oak -- it's a lot richer. Good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here