Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cupping hardwood

Posted by kntryhuman (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 21:25

I had a leak in the ice maker line and didn't know until it was too late. I noticed last week that 6 Brazilian Cherry boards in the middle of the room are cupping very badly. We have open cell foam under the house and the water was dripping through the insulation and down the beams but not actually puddling on the floor inside.

The Cherry is 3/4" thick. Would it be better to let it dry out and sand it down as smooth as possible or take those boards out. The problem is, they go under the kitchen "L" shaped cabinets and granite.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cupping hardwood

kntry

Sorry to hear about your leak and collateral damage

The good news is hardwood can be forgiving. The narrower the boards the better the chances are for recovery. Do all that you can to dry out the area - commercial dryers, dehumidifiers -

It may take weeks before the boards settle -

Other variables are where you live, what season it is.

Cupping is not something that can be typically sanded out

good luck

o

Thanks.

The wood is 5" wide, not narrow. I know we won't be able to get all the cupping out with sanding but at least we can take off some of the ridges.

We're in southern Louisiana. Right now, the weather is dry and cool, 80's day and 50's night.

o

if its factory finished then doing a board replacement is pretty easily done. If its site finished then more sanding and refinishing would be needed. I'd give it a few weeks and see what happens.

o

Get the wood dried ASAP, use a commercial company, Serve Pro etc. The longer you wait the more compression damage to the edges. Once it is dry the floor can be sanded correctly, if needed. Do not sand before it is completely dry.
The damaged flooring can also be replaced. Matching flooring is most likely available.

o

It can take months (sometimes many moths, and often a heating season) for the moisture to move back out of the wood.

Do not be in any rush to try and sand.

Once the sanding is done and the wood continues to dry it will have shallow grooves sanded in.

If there is enough wood left you can sand it flat again, but watch out for running out of wood over the tongues if the wood is T&G.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here