Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Large, cushy area rug or carpet?

tammyte
11 years ago

We currently have vinyl plank flooring that looks like wood. We like it a lot and hope to put it in the new house we are building. We have had this flooring for 4 years now and it's held up well to our 5 young children.

The thing I miss is a nice, cushy carpet room. It bugs me when toys fall on the floor and scatter everywhere. Things slide under furniture from across the room. Toddlers look like Bambi on ice trying to walk in their footed sleepers.

But this floor has been great for easy clean up of spills, accidents, mud, sand...you name it. ;-)

What should we do?

1. Carpet that is multicolored and on the darkish brown (aka dirt colored) side that we know we will replace when the kids are older.

2. Vinyl flooring with a big cushy area rug.

If area rug, where would we get it? Would it be just as expensive as carpet? Would it hurt the flooring underneath it? (I know we aren't supposed to do rubber backed mats.) Would it seem as cushy as carpet?

Other suggestions?

Oh and this is for the living room. This would be the main room in the house that we would use daily but also that guests would be in. We would not have a formal living room.