Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?

Posted by slc2053 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 21:08

Want to install carpeting on cement slab foundation, at grade level. We see the dri-core prouct but will add expense, extra time and labor and not sure if we need it.

Some say we need a moisture barrrier others say we do not. Is this a special pad or will the moisture barrier be something we install first, then the padding, then the carpet?

Also, must be glue the moisture barrier down to floor or can all be just laid down?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet on concrete..what is proper installation?

Say what????? Is this in a basement or something???

Nail your tackstrip and roll out the cushion, Glue and tape the cushion and go cut your carpet, put the seams together where you can and stretch to where you can't seam just yet. Put those seams together and continue stretching, trim it in and tuck the edges and be done with it....

I have never placed a moisture barrier down when installing carpet. Your trying to over think this way too much.

o

No basement..this is a concrete slab foundation....at ground level...the concrete was poured 6 months ago..on some days it "sweats" which tells me there is still moisture in the concrete..I haven't done the moisture test yet (taping plastic down and giving it a day or two to see if moisture is there, but I will). Some say, like yourself, "don't worry about it" others say that you don't want that moisure soaking into you carpet pad then into your carpet..you may never see it but you don't want that trapped in your carpet and potential mold developing as a result.

Not "overthinking"....just asking a question as what most do here when they don't know the answer or are hearing conflicting advice....

o

Your slab sweats because it is below dew point temperature, not because the concrete is 6 months old. You have a high humidity situation, not a concrete moisture problem.

When you have a surface that is below the dew point temperature it will form condensation on that surface. Just like a cold glass on a humid day. It isn't the water in the glass condensing on the out side of the glass, it is because the outside of the glass is cool, and below dew point temperature and condensation forms on the outside of the glass. This is also the reason windows sweat, in the winter time. The window is below dew point temperature.

o

Makes sense...but if I do the plastic to the floor test, and moisture forms ..then do I have a moisture problem? If so, you're still saying it's ok to put carpet padding directly on it?

o

The mat test can be skewed because of high humidity. If you want a definitive moisture test, drill a hole as deep as the slab is thick and insert a humidity probe. above 75% and you have a concrete moisture issue, but I still would not cover it with a moisture barrier, as carpet and padding are able to breath.

Stretch in Carpet is not effected by high concrete moisture vapors, unlike something that is directly bonded, with adhesives. It is the adhesives or wood flooring that are effected by high concrete vapor emissions.

o

Hello. No, you don't put a moisture barrier down first. I was told that this could lead to a mold problem between it and the concrete. I looked at Dri-core, and finaly decided against it too because it raised my floor 1" which meant I had to raise a couple doors. Too much work and money! Yes, you can put the pad directly on the concrete. I just had this done. I used a very heavy rubber pad, and I was pleased that it has done a good job of insulating the cold concrete floor.
I hope this helps!

o

I would not use rubber pad in a moisture prone area because rubber pad is not really rubber. It contains a lot of fillers that won't like the moisture. I am sure that floorguy knows what he is talking about, but I work for a carpet mill and in the situation where you need to file a claim for a quality issue with the carpet or the pad, the moisture could void your warranty (not real sure how much moisture you are talking about). I would recommend fixing the moisture problem then put down the carpet and pad. Wouldn't moisture lead to mold? With all the bad stuff out there about mold, I would fix the moisture for that reason alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here