Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Threshold/Saddle/Transition????

jscozz
16 years ago

We are having hardwood (3/4 unfinished) installed in most of our house. Except for tile in the bathrooms and laundry. I have done some searching for my options for transitions, but am coming up blank. The tile will be set on 5/8 ply, ditra, thinset. So it will be slightly higher than the hardwood.

I am having the hardwood installed Wednesday and Thursday and I have to tell the installer what goes at each of these 4 doors... he said it makes a difference about where he stops the hardwood into the doorway.

Can anyone explain the options and recommended way to transition from hardwood to tile? Where should the wood end?

The wood will be installed... then the doors set... then the tile installed. I am guessing the door jamb will be set on the wood... and that when the tile is set they should just cut the jamb to the appropriate height and slip the tile under? The baseboards can be set on top of the tile and the wood?

Am I correct? Any advice (or pictures) would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• forgotten
    16 years ago

Hardwood before tile? I have to say that is uncommon, but builders will surprise you at every turn. I can also see some wet hardwood when the tile guys get done grouting. You may even find some grout in joints of hardwood if it's not installed tight. Bear to get out. The hardwood ends under the center of the door, but which way do the doors swing? It makes a huge difference, and you may find it in the wrong place after it's too late.

If the height difference is not extreme the installer can shim up the area to meet the tile. Tile first.

Have the builder change his schedule and do it the right way.

• jscozz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wish I could... I am the GC and my wife has not picked tile yet... :)

Floors need to go in so kitchen, trim and painting can be done... and not hold up our move in prior to Christmas. I will most likely wind up doing the tile, and I am meticulous to a fault.

All doors in the tile rooms swing toward the tile side... so it sounds like the transition point is NOT the center of the JAMB... but the center of the door slab. So when the door is closed, you do not see both flooring materials from any one side of the door. Correct?

I am seeing a lot of pictures with NO saddle or transition piece... wood butted right up to tile. Would I want the point where they meet to be tile right up against wood or a grout joint there?

• flseadog
    15 years ago

bump

• njg_viewpoint
    15 years ago

Last year we installed new hardwood floors in the living room and dining room. Then a contractor replaced the tile floor in the hall and first floor bath. There was already tile on the kitchen floor and it was staying. Home Depot (and I am sure other places) carry a product for the transition which is an aluminum strip that comes in various finishes - silver, gold, bronze, etc. specifically for the transisiton from tile to wood or other tile or types of flooring. It worked great for us.